Network Basics for dummies?

Author Topic: Network Basics for dummies?  (Read 123 times)

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 0
Network Basics for dummies?
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
I am trying to set up my show network and with so many options/methods, I think I am just confusing myself. The sticky on WiFi Setup by ThreeSizes was good but it seems like there were things missing. I want to add one component at a time and make sure that it works before I add more confusion. My network is going to be a Master/Remote set up.
I will have a Pi 3B connected to my home network via ethernet cable and this will be my master.
The rest of the Pi/BBB will be remotes that are going to communicate with the Master via WiFi but I will get to those later.

My home router is 192.168.0.1

I am trying to set up the Master FPP and things don't seem to be working like they should or maybe I just don't understand.
I think I understand the concept of Subnets but I must be missing something.

ThreeSizes has all of the wlan0 settings to be on the same subnet as the router but I guess because the Master/Remote process only sends out timing packages that the traffic is not an issue?

When I set up this Master FPP and set the wlan0 to 192.168.0.100 and clicked the Ping button. It indicated that it sent 3 packages and none were received with 100% errors. I thought that if they were on the same subnet, that they can communicate? If I change the IP to 192.168.0.1 the Ping button returns no errors, but I don't think this is how it is supposed to be set up, is it?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 2
    • Newburgh Lights
Re: Network Basics for dummies?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
If your home network is 192.168.0.x, and you are connecting the Master Pi to it via a wired interface, then eth0 needs to have an address on the 192.168.0.x LAN - NOT the WiFi.  Can't have both eth0 and Wlan0 on the same subnet.So first a question.  If your HarrisWiFi on the same LAN as your wired internet?  If this is a typical home Router / Access Point then the answer is yes.  I am assuming that the remote PIs will also connect to that same WiFi.  Is that correct?
You have a couple of options.  Assuming that the HarrisWiFi and your wired LAN are the same subnet, then you do not need to connect the Master Pi to the WiFi at all.  Packets from the Master Pi will travel over the wired connection to the Router / AP, and then via the WiFi to the Remote PIs.  Assign the Remote PIs static addresses that make sense to you - for example my two PIs are 192.168.131.81 and 192.168.131.82 on the wired LAN and 192.168.203.81 & 192.168.203.82 on the WiFi (I'll bet even you could guess which one is #1 and which one is #2).
Another option would be to either set up a completely independent WiFi network that the Master and Remote PIs connect to that has an address range of anything EXCEPT 192.168.0.x.  Then again, set static IPs that make sense to you within that range.  Another option to that would be to setup tethering on your Master PI and have the Remote PIs connect directly to it.  Note that you need a newer version of FPP software to run tethering (I think that came about in the 2.0 Master branch somewhere).

Make sense?  If I have made incorrect assumptions about your network layout, let me know.  I'm also happy to talk to you on the phone as that may make it easier.  I do this as part of my job so I know this level of networking very well!
Using LOR for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim