Author Topic: Multiple Pi's  (Read 272 times)

Offline lugnut68f

• Kudos: 0
Multiple Pi's
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:54:57 PM »
I'm trying to figure out my layout this year in my head and wanted some experienced advise. What I want to do is make a show for my neighbor. We share an alley drive so his front yard is only about 20 feet from my front porch. I have a dedicated show router so can I put it on that side of the porch, use a pi in slave mode on his porch wirelessly and one on my porch wired in master mode. Make his sequences and mine and put them all on both pi's and use FPP to do my show then run his show after mine is done?
I checked my show router last year and the wifi signal is strong on his side of the alley so I don't think signal strength would be an issue.

Any input is highly welcome

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 102
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Multiple Pi's
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:16:54 AM »
Your Master / Remote will work as you describe it.

The thing I'm curious about is your sentence - Make his sequences and mine and put them all on both pi's and use FPP to do my show then run his show after mine is done?

You don't want them to run at the same time?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 32
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:59:48 AM »
Your Master / Remote will work as you describe it.

The thing I'm curious about is your sentence - Make his sequences and mine and put them all on both pi's and use FPP to do my show then run his show after mine is done?

You don't want them to run at the same time?

I was wondering the same thing.  Why not make it all one combined show, synced together?   That is my next goal.... spreading props out into neighbors yards and have it all part of the same show.   8)
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 51
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »
We are all catching that same line.  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline lugnut68f

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »
I think I misstated my intentions. I want it to look like 2 seperate shows but run off of the same network and Pi's. I have had a show for a couple years and they have had a static show for many years. Our city announced that they are giving an award for best light show this year for the first time ever. I plan on winning it but want him to be a close second.  I plan on setting it up as one big show through the scheduler in FPP but do my side then do his side. He is a bluegrass musician so I am going to try to do the Dueling Jingle Bells with both yards on the same song. Of course I'm going to be the winner on that one too.
Is that a reasonable setup plan?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 51
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »
You could have a sequence with both yards or you could have separate sequences.  I would think you would want to have at least some lights on in both yards even if the main show for a given sequence is in your yard, I would put some kind of lights, even static, in his yard and vice versa.  But I would never do a complete show in one yard and then do a complete show in the other yard.