Author Topic: Recommended DMX Fog Machines?  (Read 351 times)

Offline nmiller0113

• Kudos: 8
    • The Miller Lights
Recommended DMX Fog Machines?
« on: August 26, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »
I'm sure there are some of you that use DMX controlled fog machines here.  Looking for a little advice.  Been looking at the models by Chauvet and ADJ.  Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a model?  I would like to get one with a good size tank and decent run time so I'm not having to fill the tank multiple times an evening but also able to run it every few mins to keep a somewhat constant cloud outside :) I hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance for any feedback here!

Offline tmarshall

• Kudos: 3
Re: Recommended DMX Fog Machines?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »
I have the ADJ Fog Fury 3000 It is a 1500 Watt DMX fog machine. I also have the optional wireless remote and timer.

It works great! It outputs more than 5 of those cheap fog machines combined. I use it with a DIY chiller and some Froggy's Freezing Fog Low Flying Fog Juice.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »
I have the ADJ Fog Fury 3000 It is a 1500 Watt DMX fog machine. I also have the optional wireless remote and timer.

It works great! It outputs more than 5 of those cheap fog machines combined. I use it with a DIY chiller and some Froggy's Freezing Fog Low Flying Fog Juice.
Awesome!  Thanks for the info!  Can you tell me more about the DIY chiller?  Also, how long and often do you run it at night and, based on that, how often do you need to refill it?  Trying to determine how long a tank lasts overall and how much fluid I'll need for the season.  Thanks again!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 96
    • Granbury Christmas Lights

Offline giantstogie

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks for the info!  Can you tell me more about the DIY chiller?  Also, how long and often do you run it at night and, based on that, how often do you need to refill it?  Trying to determine how long a tank lasts overall and how much fluid I'll need for the season.  Thanks again!

https://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/71815-build-your-own-vortex-fusion-chiller.html

I have used this design for my halloween display with good success. use it with froggies freezing fog and you will get great ground fog.  remember that wind is the killer of fog.

https://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/71815-build-your-own-vortex-fusion-chiller.html

this is a great form for fog chillers.  i have used it many times. i have great results with this chiller design and a chavet machine and using Fogg's Freezing fog.  IT will tell you everything you need to know about chillers.  rembember that wind is the enemy of fog. 

Offline mikewlaymon

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
I built this one (variation on a theme):

http://www.gotfog.com/fog_machine_chiller.html

Offline tmarshall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »

I have used both designs similar to those posted by mikewlaymon and JonB256. Of the two, I got better results with the trash can/dryer hose version, but it still did not work quite as well as I had hoped. both of them reduced the total output due to head loss though the pipes I guess and I had a bit of wind to contend with the two years that I used them. This year, I am going to try adding an inline fan to provide a little boost.

I don't really remember how long a tank lasts, but from what I remember, I filled it maybe twice in a night. The tanks holds 5 liters and I bought four gallons of fog juice (see link I provided), and I still have a gallon left after two years, but I did not use the fog machines except for a couple of days each year. If you run it every day, you will use a lot, and you will have to replenish the ice in the chillers each night.  i didn't think it was worth the hassle or expense.

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Offline mikewlaymon

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
This thread go me thinking about getting a DMX fog machine - tired of manual control.  I'm drawing a blank on how to/what is needed to connect it to a Falcon controller?

Offline nmiller0113

• The Miller Lights
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
This thread go me thinking about getting a DMX fog machine - tired of manual control.  I'm drawing a blank on how to/what is needed to connect it to a Falcon controller?
You can connect the DMX interface directly to the Falcon Controller off of one of its 4 RS-485 outputs running in DMX.  Then it's just another DMX on/off in the sequencer of your choice.

Offline mikewlaymon

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »
Too easy!  I just remembered I have a 3-pin XLR to RJ45 adapter (somewhere) that will make it really easy.  Thanks!