Author Topic: Newbie with a f48  (Read 307 times)

Offline RayRay

• Kudos: 0
Newbie with a f48
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:14:52 AM »
A little background on me I am an electrical engineer last year I created my very first prop I loved it but I hated the controller I was using it was a t1000s so this year I decided to go all out and buy an f48 I only have 700 smart pixels and I also bought 2 differential controllers I have three power supplies currently so here's the rundown and kind of a question for everyone so my plan goes like this I am going to run xscheduler through a computer I no longer use so it would be dedicated directly out of the computer with CAT5 directly into the f48 from the f48 to the differential receivers and of course power supplies then to my props I will have 7 props spread out through my yard my yard is not large it is only around 75 feet by 75 feet so I'm not spreading them out tremendously throughout my display area so I suppose what the question is does it look like I have everything figured correctly or am I missing something I figure I do not need a switch because I am only running One controller with no other network needed the computer will set in the garage right next to the controller and I'm not going to run a pie because I have two extra computers laying around my house that are doing nothing at all and they are relatively new but I do not use desktop computers anymore only laptops and tablets because of my line of work that being said I figure I can go directly from the T100 connection directly into the e131 connection on the f48 again if I am missing something I'm a newbie please any input would be wonderful

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 102
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Newbie with a f48
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:24:12 AM »
If your laptop and the F48 have the same IP subnet, then you won't need a switch or router. If you can "see" the F48 programming interface in your web browser, then you are good to go.

Offline RayRay

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
Thank you I thought that was the case.

Offline twenty18show

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:00:22 AM »
Just a thought but you might want to look into how much it will cost you in electricity to run a laptop for a month (or however many weeks you plan on running your show), because you might actually save enough money on electricity using a pi to justify getting one... Just a thought :)