Author Topic: Replacing NIC (network interface card) - questions  (Read 230 times)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
Replacing NIC (network interface card) - questions
« on: September 16, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »

What do I need to do to transition from an OLD/CURRENT PCI-E NIC card ... to NEW PCI NIC (network card) ?
This is a dedicated SHOW NIC, the one I use for internet is not changing.

I currently use a static route that David helped me with ... and of course, I just minimally understand it ... but would like to retain all
the same IP settings ... and route ... but just replace the card and do as little a possible to get the new NIC working.

Background / Setup:

I have been using a PCI-E gig-E card and a static route in win10 is used to direct the show traffic to the show hubs and controllers (all Falcon F16-v2).

What I am wanting to do it move to e new NIC card, located on a free PCI (non express) slot (older AMD FX motherboard) ...
so that I can use my PCI-E slot for a USB 3.0 interface to transfer files (video and images) faster ... since I'm too cheap to buy
a computer or new MB with USB 3.x at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Scott / taybrynn

Offline taybrynn

Re: Replacing NIC (network interface card) - questions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:35:14 AM »
I may just have to try it.  I did find one registry entry for the forwarding and screen snapped the current xmas lights adapter settings, nothing special except the static IP I am using for it.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
The internet settings such as IP address, subnet mask, and gateway are based on the interface or card you are using.  If you want to change the card then you will need to go into that old cards settings and take notes as to what they are set to.  Then you can replace the card and set it to the old cards settings.  You may need delete the old interface before setting the new card to the old ones settings but I would try and set the new one to them first.  The routes are assigned to the IP address of the interfaces and if you set the new card to the same static address of the old one, the routing table should not be affected and should continue to work as before.

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »
Thank you !   I will try this and followup later with results.