Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Learning Center / Newbie: Does this look right before I order?
« Last post by splaxx on Today at 09:38:10 PM »
Hello all,

Somehow I found my way to this board.  A late night on youtube I came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-V7Iqr44WY) and decided that I want to RGB my house this year.  This is how I am planning my build 100% based on that video. I am hoping you all can course correct before I go too far down the wrong path.  :)

Here is a list of equipment I am planning on buying:

• 12mm WS2811 Lights (12') [Link]
  • 48x96 Corrugated Plastic Sheet [Link]
  • Light Tube Protector (8') [Link]
  • Tube Caps (50) [Link]
  • F16V3 Pixel Controller
  • RaspberryPi
  • Old computer Power Supply
  • CG-1500 Enclosure for Garage
My intention is to build tubes of specific lengths that I can hang each year on my house.  The build process will to be cut pipes to specific lengths (see photo below) cut strips of the corrugated plastic to fit inside the tubes, mount the RGB lights to the corrugated plastic, and then seal each end with the caps (wires extending through caps)

Then mount the CG-1500 in the garage, F16V3 + RaspPi + Power supply mounted in that case, wire back to it.

Questions:
  • Any other suggestions for mounting lights to house other than building the tubes?
  • Any better RGB LEDs to buy than the AliExpress that I linked above?  I am looking at the 5V Square
  • I have a question about number of channels/number of pixels.  If the F16v3 says that it supports 1024 on 16 channels, does that mean that it supports 1024x16=16384 pixels?  Does the PiCap support 800x2=1600 pixels?  If I am doing my math right, I will need 13 strands (of 50), which is 650 pixels, which means I really only need to run one channel... Correct?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Falcon PiCap / PiCap Pixel Brightness
« Last post by jimmyc4511 on Today at 08:48:20 PM »
Is there anyway to adjust the brightness of the pixels being ran off the PiCap...?
Most folks are interested in the W for the embedded wifi.  You are bypassing that with the Edimax.
Falcon PiCap / Re: Use picap for data only?
« Last post by Northernwarrior on Today at 06:51:04 PM »
Very quick and messy.
When I do this I don't have lights

If I add power wire from picap to strip then I get power.

I'd like to not use the pi for power .  Is it possible ?
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: streaming/playing music -- design questions
« Last post by peewee760 on Today at 06:42:17 PM »
I am very interested in this topic, as I am doing the exact same thing in my tiki bar.  (Traders Sams type effects, correct?). Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Falcon PiCap / Re: Use picap for data only?
« Last post by AAH on Today at 06:41:30 PM »
Can you draw up a quick picture of what is and isn't working. Failing that at least a photo or 2 that show the connections.
FYI:
I'm running a Pi Zero W, but without the ACT light and using a EDIMAX with Micro USB adapter. External Storage Device is on the Micro SD.  This is a no hub setup.
May not be supported, but it's working just fine to control lights on ESPixelStick
Sell/Trade / Re: 10% off due to fall
« Last post by AAH on Today at 04:06:39 PM »
I have actually been talking to Felix (benbrown) at Scottled about making up strobe strings. I had a look around to see if I could find a PIC that would be more tolerant of higher voltage than 5V but it looks like 5V is going to be it. When I get some spare time and slightly more use of my left hand I'm going to experiment a bit with the ACL strobe design I did and get something made up.

Works fine for me.  Sorry to read this, get well soon! 

Interested in design a strobe board while you heal?   ;D
Falcon PiCap / Use picap for data only?
« Last post by Northernwarrior on Today at 03:38:38 PM »
Hi guys,

So I bring 12v to the picap and in input one I'm connecting data and ground only.  The from psu I'm using power and ground to strip and continue injecting this way.

The strips won't work unless I also attach power to input one.  If I'm using a long run and inject along the way will it still be ok for the picap?  It seems like the rpi is warming up ?

2nd - I am using psu wired to terminal blocks to have power but I keep hearing that it should be fused.  I honestly have no idea how I should do this or even what to look for to accomplish this.

I'm running 12v ws2811 led strips.  Will be 6x5 m on input 1 and 4x5 m on input 2

Suggestions that are diy and be able to pick up at a radio shack or something?
Sell/Trade / Re: 10% off due to fall
« Last post by zwiller on Today at 03:24:32 PM »
Works fine for me.  Sorry to read this, get well soon! 

Interested in design a strobe board while you heal?   ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10