Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: Corrupt Flash Drive?
« Last post by jllracer55 on January 15, 2018, 11:51:02 PM »
Is this cannot find directory errors after just redoing the sd card normal upon a reboot??

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Events/Gatherings / Colorado Light Enthusiast Meet Up in Denver on January 27
« Last post by FireMedic4Christ on January 15, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »
Happy New Year! Lets get together and talk successes from last year and start planning for the upcoming shows. The next meet up in Denver is on Saturday, January 27 from 9 to 5 at the South Metro Fire Rescue Administration building located at 9195 East Mineral Avenue, Centennial, CO 80112 on the basement level.

Bring suggestions for upcoming topics that you would like to hear.

Please post if you are attending so that others will have an idea who is coming so that they won't be the only one.
F16v2 Pixel Controller / Re: F16v2 and the v3 Differential expansion board
« Last post by beatlerat on January 15, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »
Has there been any more thought to adding a second expansion board to the V2 (b) to control 4 receiver boards.  Just trying to wrap my head around my needs early this year.  Thanks
Now it started working, weird
So I thought I would setup a second remote pi zero w. so I have a pi 3 v10 and 2 pi zero w's v9. The host names for the remotes are PiZeroW01 and PiZeroW02. in the multisync screen all three are visible from each of the pi web server pages. and on the Pi 3 it how network is also visible. The 2 PiZeroW's are configures the same in the network page except the IP one is 192.168.3.5 and the other is 192.168.3.10 and the Pi 3 is 192.168.3.3. and 192.168.1.80. When I play a playlist or a test sequence PiZeroW01 starts playing but I cannot get PiZeroW02 to start up with the playlist or the sequence. The sequence files are all on the remotes as I clicked the sync files and saw that they were copied over to 02 as 01 already has the files. If I make 01 a standalone player and just try to use one remote 02 it still does not startup the sequence. Any Ideas?
Falcon Group Buys / Re: PixelController.com presale has started
« Last post by danj on January 15, 2018, 08:18:54 PM »
Thanks for showing that basic layout deplanche.   I have been thinking about how to power up a matrix we are planning to do that will have 48 sets of 192 pixels (using James' 4'x8' chromamesh panels).   This setup will allow me to breakout power supplies into very neat packages.   Now just have to conceptualize how many enclosures to use, etc...

Dave--great work as always.   Thanks so much for everything you do for all of us who love doing this lighting stuff!!!!
Learning Center / Re: Specifications and questions on F16V3
« Last post by Poporacer on January 15, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
How do you synch each controller? Do you have a FPP that communicates wirelessly to each one? Does Xlights have the ability to address all the different controllers?
New Hardware Projects / Re: Best option for power injection on my setup.
« Last post by Lightsonthelake on January 15, 2018, 06:34:26 PM »
First of all, Welcome to the world or "real" synchronized music and light display!  That's a big step up. 

I really doubt it's 50 ft to the tree, it's about 10 ft down the wall then 25 maybe 30 ft to where I want the tree. I'm planning on running 16 strings 42 nodes per. So I'll have 4 data lines running there.

As Emuney18 said, getting data that distance is going to be a far bigger problem than power.  Yes, you can run data extenders, but that adds to the expense quite a bit if you have very many data lines to extend.

Even at 35 or 40 feet, you will likely have data problems.  Half that is a better target (yes, people do get away with farther).  A far better approach is to keep controllers for smart pixels as close to the lights as practical.  Except for some GE Color Effects lights (which have a very slow data rate and can go longer distance), all of mine were less than 5 feet.

I've got an endless supply of cat5e. With that tool running 50 ft I'd loose 2.25 by the 50 ft mark. So if I turn up the psu to 14 I should be 12 by that point.

BAD PLAN!  Remember that the current drawn (and therefore the voltage drop) will vary A LOT depending on the number of lights that are on, how bright they are, etc.  That means that your voltage would be varying all over the place.  Cat-5 as a power cable is really lousy because it's small wires.  Even if you parallel two pair for positive and two pair for negative, it's still a pretty small cable. 

I would seriously consider changing your plan.  Hiding power supplies and pixel controllers out in the yard is not all that hard to do.

If you do go with the longer runs, make sure to test the pieces well before you start setting up your show.  For example set up a controller driving the lights you will be using with whatever long cable you plan on running and run a sequence to make sure it works.   Much better to find out in April that a plan is not going to work than a week before you are planning on opening.

OK I wanted to run a test before I went ahead with anything else. So I took 46ft of cst5e plus 2 twist lock connectors about 1 ft total each. For a total length of 48 ft. I tested the power output at the end of the 50th node on full white and ended with 9.5 volts. So since I know my power will be sufficient enough and my data will make the run. I think I'll keep my plan of all my psu's in the garage with the exception of the mega tree, that one I'll place one closer because of the long run.
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: Raspberry Pi3 installation not working
« Last post by EdK on January 15, 2018, 06:30:34 PM »
In most cases, the FPP User Manual provides instructions or examples for both the BBB and the Pi.  The manual (pg. 29) provides a setup example showing an FPP on a BBB driving P10 panels.   Are the plans to include in the FPP manual a setup example of FPP on a Pi with a matrix adapter driving P10 panels?
Falcon Group Buys / Re: PixelController.com presale has started
« Last post by deplanche on January 15, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »
A basic layout of the F48 Differential with the Differential Receiver Boards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10