Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I did a 24 string 50 pixel tree with a 290 pixel star. Sequences import well, resolution is good, I used 2" spacing. I say go for it. Attached is a pic of the tree. And also attached my wiring, all run from 3 ports on the controller + 1 port for the star. Hope this helps.

What is the measurements of your tree? You have also opened up my eyes on how many ports I need to use. I was going to use 12 ports and no power injection. Seems like there is another way...
F16v2 Pixel Controller / Re: Can I power the Pi from the F16v2?
« Last post by JerryPlak on Today at 08:08:26 AM »
This is an old photo of my garage set up.

I'm using a small 5 V @7 amp power supply to supply the  voltage to the pi and the F16V2 logic part of the controller I keep this powered up all year long.

The other two power supply one is a 12V and the other is a 5V power supply for the pixels.
« Last post by corydorning on Today at 07:36:56 AM »
I'm using the older Pi B+ which seems to draw less power. Is it still recommended to run from a separate power supply?
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: FPP2.0 on Pi Zero
« Last post by MartinP on Today at 06:35:47 AM »
Hi Cjlocey,
I can see "reference designer"  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1728237598/piserialixed-raspberry-pi-3-uart-usb-board?ref=14u0ok is a device for accessing the Pi serial port, but how would you access FPPs web interface for control of FPP?
Martin
« Last post by David Pitts on Today at 01:32:56 AM »
The total current available to the F16V2 from the on-board regulator is 1.5A max. The recommended current for PI 3's alone is higher than that. I would use another power supply. 

More Info.

The F16V2 uses about .750 mA of current @12V with no expansion boards.  Not enough power left to run a Pi3's. Although it may work it is not recommended.

Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: Powering a Rasp Pi and EDM FM Transmitter
« Last post by aknflyer on September 18, 2018, 11:41:23 PM »
I bet you could get away with a short wire. Mine is in a half sunken basement. Besides, my city is a congested rf location with few usable frequencies. I see at least one other show using the same freq as mine. Nowhere near me, but with a high gain antenna we might be enemies.Sorry to hijack the thread. But in larger cities I bet there are more light enthusiasts. One freq can be used by multiple users if not transmitting extended range. I will shut up now.
Learning Center / Re: Which controller to buy
« Last post by David Pitts on September 18, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
You need a pixel controller like the F16V3 or F4V3 and also buy a dumb controller. Dumb controllers can be as little as 40.00. No one controller can run both smart and dumb.
« Last post by k6ccc on September 18, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
I am always perplexed why the focus on high gain antennas, why would you exceed fcc limits to transmit probably miles when the display is only locally viewable. I am an electronics tech, fcc licensed. All I use is a short wire, works 7 blocks plus at 100mw. More than enough. Not to mention the extra cost and effort involved.
I have also wondered the same thing.  The farthest you can see my show is a couple hundred feet.  Why have the FM usable a mile away?  In my case, the transmitter is inside a brick column that has a ton of rebar in it, so I DO have to get the antenna outside the column or else it won't work across the street.  I built a vertical half wave dipole that works well enough that I put an attenuator between the transmitter and the antenna.  The antenna elements are 1/4 inch copper tubing encased in 1/2 inch PVC pipe.  The photo below shows the antenna with the feedpoint cover removed.

Display Items / Re: Mega Tree - 12, 16 or 24 Strings on a 180 degree tree?
« Last post by aknflyer on September 18, 2018, 11:32:21 PM »
I did a 24 string 50 pixel tree with a 290 pixel star. Sequences import well, resolution is good, I used 2" spacing. I say go for it. Attached is a pic of the tree. And also attached my wiring, all run from 3 ports on the controller + 1 port for the star. Hope this helps.
« Last post by aknflyer on September 18, 2018, 11:14:47 PM »
I am always perplexed why the focus on high gain antennas, why would you exceed fcc limits to transmit probably miles when the display is only locally viewable. I am an electronics tech, fcc licensed. All I use is a short wire, works 7 blocks plus at 100mw. More than enough. Not to mention the extra cost and effort involved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10