Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: Losing scripts and audio files
« Last post by Emork142 on Today at 08:05:46 PM »
I currently have a 32 gb Sandisk 10.
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: FPP version 1.10 and 2.1 in same show
« Last post by JonB256 on Today at 07:45:49 PM »
There has been no change across versions for the Remote's sync codes.

I will say that with your 9 listed Remotes, unless you have a specific reason to individually check the remotes, it generates less network traffic using All Remotes.
Falcon Player (FPP) / FPP version 1.10 and 2.1 in same show
« Last post by Emuney18 on Today at 07:33:29 PM »
I have not seen the answer to this question.  Is there a problem with running an FPP setup with multiple versions of the software on devices?  For example my setup:
Master Raspberry Pi 3 running version 1.10
3 Remote Raspberry Pi 3s running version 1.10 that are outputting e1.31 data to controllers.
2 Remote BBBs running 2.1 that are driving P5 panels
3 Remote Pocket Beagles with the F8-PB boards running pixels

Showing Off / Re: Singing Jack o'Lanterns
« Last post by jnealand on Today at 06:21:49 PM »
Nice work.
F48 Pixel Controller / Re: 4 String Diff - Enclosure?
« Last post by Emuney18 on Today at 06:13:13 PM »
It is 2 1/8 x 3".  It will physically fit because I did it last year but never used because if you're putting a PS in a box nearby then just add the receiver to that box.  It will also be very tight with the pigtails, Ethernet and power wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: Playlist lagging
« Last post by Emuney18 on Today at 06:00:59 PM »
Make sure your not outputting xlights on a computer that you forgot. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: Question upgrading BBB to 2.1
« Last post by dkulp on Today at 05:44:45 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Dan.  Good info as always!  :D    With that said, isn't ALL I/O done in blocks for "Block Devices" like mmcblk0 (SD card) regardless of the file structure/format?  The application may only ask for parts of a frame, but doesn't the OS always read and write to block device in whole blocks?

Kind of, but depends on what is being done.   I'll try an example.   Let say we have a sequence with frame size of 96K channels.   We need the 16K channels starting at channel number 24K.   (I'm specifically using numbers divisible by 4K as that is the "best case" for ext4, but it still applies to other numbers)

For ext4:
We "fseek" beyond 24K, or 8 pages.   Basically, full skip those.   We read 4 pages, the OS can copy those 4 blocks right off the disk into the memory buffer. We then skip another 56K.   Repeat for each frame.  Basically, it just reads the 4 "blocks" we need.   

For btrfs:
With btrfs, the compression is done in blocks up to 128K.   Also, the way compression works is that it depends on the data before it.   Thus, you cannot really "skip" the 24K channels.   btrfs needs to read the 128K (with 10:1, that might just be 13K) and decompress all the bytes in the 24K channels we skip.   Then decompress and copy the 16K to our buffer.   We then skip 56K.  Then for the next frame, skip 24K.   However, if the next section of 16K we need to read is in the same 128K block, we need to decompress those 80K bytes.     
General Software / Re: FTP recommendation
« Last post by Santacarl on Today at 05:41:10 PM »
I've been happy with WinSCP

I like their screen layout better than others.

https://winscp.net/
Thanks for the link Jon.....You're EVERYWHERE!  haha....   ;)
General Software / Re: FTP recommendation
« Last post by JonB256 on Today at 05:34:01 PM »
I've been happy with WinSCP

I like their screen layout better than others.

https://winscp.net/
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: Question upgrading BBB to 2.1
« Last post by pixelpuppy on Today at 04:58:13 PM »

Actually, with the 2.x releases, we use "compress=zstd", not lzo.   zstd is generally considered to have a better CPU/compression balance.

For the most part, the main slowdown is on writing.   Thus, syncing fseq files TO the BBB is significantly slower than when using ext4.  However, that's likely not done too often.  Also, btrfs doesn't really support full random access to files.   Things are compressed in blocks so if you need some data from someplace in the block, the entire block is read an decompressed.   With 2.1, it now only reads the parts of the frames that that given FPP instance is configured to need.  (example, just the block of channels for that P10 display).  Thus, btrfs MAY require a bit more reading than with ext4.   It's really hard to quantify.

Thanks for the explanation Dan.  Good info as always!  :D    With that said, isn't ALL I/O done in blocks for "Block Devices" like mmcblk0 (SD card) regardless of the file structure/format?  The application may only ask for parts of a frame, but doesn't the OS always read and write to block device in whole blocks?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10