Author Topic: Vixen 3, FPP, & Falcon PiCap Setup Questions.  (Read 555 times)

Offline lunyone

• Kudos: 0
Vixen 3, FPP, & Falcon PiCap Setup Questions.
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »
Hello,
Thanks in advance for any and all help, since I'm pretty new to all of this.

Here is what I'm trying to do:
I have used Vixen 3 over the last year or so to sequence a Pixel matrix with a laptop and an Arduino Uno to drive the pixels. This worked out okay and I was able to get the Pixel Matrix to work.

Now I have a different setup. My plan is to power on the Raspberry Pi 3, Falcon Pi Cap, & Pixel matrix and let it run a sequence endlessly until it is powered off. This is so I can program the sequence and ship the whole assembly to some friends for Christmas gifts and all they have to do is turn it on and let it run until they want to turn it off. I don't want any interaction done by the receivers of the Pixel matrix.

My issue is how do I set up the controller in Vixen, so I can program the sequence on my laptop and export that configuration to the Raspberry Pi 3 w/Falcon Pi Hat on it?

I have tried looking in the forums for a similar issue, but I apparently might have missed this similar situation, so any help is very appreciated.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Vixen 3, FPP, & Falcon PiCap Setup Questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
Just create a playlist, then schedule that playlist for 00:00:00 thru 23:59:59 with repeat.  I do that for a matrix I take to model train shows.  Plug it in and it runs, unplug it and take it home.  At home it will connect to my wifi network so I can access the Pi and make changes.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
The latest verions of FPP will detect that there is no network and create one with an ssid of falcon? and a password of christmas?  I/you need to look those up as my memory may not be correct.  Might be worth trying to use the big buttons script and make multiple little sequences that could be selected based on the button pushed.  mmmmm  I need to try this once I get my show completely running.

Offline lunyone

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
jnealand,
So I don't have to set up anything on the vixen before I export to the Falcon Pi Player so it know what I'm using? Like for the Arduino I used a "Generic Serial" option under the controllers section. Is there something I need to select for my Falcon Pi Hat or (see attachment)??

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »
I know nothing about vixen 3 or arduinos and do all my FPP and controller configuring manually.

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 11:07:17 PM »
jnealand,
So I don't have to set up anything on the vixen before I export to the Falcon Pi Player so it know what I'm using? Like for the Arduino I used a "Generic Serial" option under the controllers section. Is there something I need to select for my Falcon Pi Hat or (see attachment)??

Pi Hat or Pi Cap? If you are talking about PiCap then the settings for this are in the FPP?  I am not sure what you are using for a pixel matrix but simply put.. All you need is Falcon player, PiCap and Pixels for a matrix. Vixen just needs to have elements/pixels patched to a controller then export in .fseq to your Falcon player. Falcon player has Picap output that needs to be configured and you should be good to go. Probably any of the controllers will do since they are mostly just named controllers?
But if you want to get specific about which controller just use "streaming (E131).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:13:18 PM by bpos »

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »
Since you're going to export to fseq in Vixen3, it doesn't really matter much which controller type you use.  It just needs to be defined with enough channels and have your elements patched to those channels.

In Vixen3 you export the sequence to fseq and then you copy the fseq file to FPP.  All the setting for the PiCap are done in the FPP software on the Pi.
-Mark

Offline lunyone

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
What I have:
* Raspberry Pi 3
* Falcon PiHat
* Pixel matrix

I am using Vixen 3, since that is what I've used in the past that worked with a laptop, arduino, and pixel matrix. I'm going to a self contained set up with the previously mention items above and just wanted to make sure I had things set up in Vixen correctly, before I exported to the fseq file type for the Falcon Pi Player on the Raspberry Pi. So by what I'm reading, I can just use whatever controller type in Vixen and patch it to my Pixel matrix and then create a sequence. Then I can just export to the fseq file type and transfer it over to the Raspberry Pi?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
So by what I'm reading, I can just use whatever controller type in Vixen and patch it to my Pixel matrix and then create a sequence. Then I can just export to the fseq file type and transfer it over to the Raspberry Pi?
Yep.  ;D

Offline lunyone

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
Wow! If that is all I have to do, then you have really made my day. I have been stressing about this since I have started this project. Thank you for the information, it is appreciated :)