Author Topic: Single-Wire DMX Protocol Support  (Read 103 times)

Offline TastyHamSandwich

• Kudos: 0
  • Big ideas, small hands
    • Jolt Lighting
Single-Wire DMX Protocol Support
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:59:30 AM »
TLDR at bottom.

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed before, but the in-built search engine wasn't being very helpful to me when searching for "DMX" "Output" and such terms. So, my question is this:

Is there any sort of support in Falcon controllers (I'm posting here in the F4 boards because it's an F4 in question at the moment, but it applies to both the F16 and F4, as that is what we are using primarily) for a standard "DMX-to-pixel" protocol, such that Vivid RGB uses in their lights? In SanDevice boards and Advateks, there is an option to use "DMX" as the pixel data output protocol, and I believe it is referred to as "Single Wire DMX" to differentiate it from the standard DMX512 communication protocol.

Basically, we weren't completely aware that there wasn't support for this protocol, as it had always been supported on every board we've sold in the past, and sold a customer some Vivid RGB lights, which were shipped direct to them from the mfg, and then I set about building the controller, but then found I couldn't configure it for that Single-Wire "DMX" protocol. Mistake on my part, because of that invalid assumption, it just wasn't something that our sales guy even gave any thought to before selling that combination of products.

We're switching that guy out for a different brand of board, that can run the lights he wants to use, but ideally I'd like to see Falcon support the protocol on their boards. Does anyone have any information on this, or is it already here and I'm somehow missing something here.

Thanks for your time, sorry to be so long-winded as usual. It's a lot of words for a simple question, but that's just how I am, even when I sit down and say, "okay, time for a quick post".  ;D ;D

TLDR: Do Falcon boards support the DMX (aka Single-Wire DMX) pixel output protocol, such that you find in use with Vivid RGB lights. Do they already and I'm just not seeing it somehow, or is there a way to make them run this protocol? This applies to the F16v3 as well.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
Re: Single-Wire DMX Protocol Support
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »
You are probably thinking of "Single Ended" DMX not "Single Wire".   That is what SanDevices controllers output when the port is configured for DMX instead of Pixels.  It still needs two wires  ;D

Falcon controllers DO have DMX capability, but they do it via dedicated DMX ports and not the Pixel output ports.  Falcon controllers generate a true Differential DMX signal which is superior to Single Ended DMX.

Basically the DMX ports on the Falcons are really much better DMX than cheaper single ended.  However, since its a separate dedicated port, there is only one on the F4 and four on the F16
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:17:29 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline TastyHamSandwich

• Kudos: 0
  • Big ideas, small hands
    • Jolt Lighting
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »
So when I have three-wire RGB pixels from VividRGB, and they use the "DMX" protocol option on SanDevice or Advatek boards, how do I configure them on the Falcon? What protocol? Because I am needing the support for the per-pixel-output protocol. Is there no analogous solution?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »
Since your post about VividRGB pixels is the only one, I'm guessing that the only way to know would be to send a string to a developer for testing.
It has just never come up before.