Author Topic: Pi cap not working  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Flyrod5518

• Kudos: 0
Pi cap not working
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
Let me start by saying, i'm new to all of these and not an electrician.  My cap had been working coming from a 12v meanwell psu.  It was shut down for a while after Halloween.  I recently started gearing up for Christmas and no power to pi cap from psu.  No green light on cap.  I checked the voltage from the connector coming from the power supply and it is around 12v.   When I have the pi power supply plugged, the green light comes on on the pi cap.  I had been running the pi and pi cap off of the 12v powersuppy through the pi cap.
 Now when I plug the pi power supply in, the green light comes on for the cap.

Any thoughts??  Fuse?

I have a pi cap on a 3 b+ pi

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:35:48 PM by Flyrod5518 »

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
Re: Pi cap not working
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »
By Pi power you mean 5v? I don't expect a regulator to go out that easily?  How about check the terminal connection on cap? Make sure they are tight?
Then check the 2amp fuse next to the power connection on the cap? 

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 05:17:34 AM »

A PiCap on a 3B+ might not be able to provide enough power from 12V.   The buck on there is only rated fro 1.5amp whereas everyone says the Pi3B+ requires 2amp or more.   I would see if you can get it working with either 5v or powered via USB first to make sure it will at least boot up.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
A PiCap on a 3B+ might not be able to provide enough power from 12V.   The buck on there is only rated fro 1.5amp whereas everyone says the Pi3B+ requires 2amp or more.   I would see if you can get it working with either 5v or powered via USB first to make sure it will at least boot up.

That is a really good point.  The 3b+ is a power hog compared to the previous models.   I know my standalone 3b+ has issues with 1.5a wall-warts that were fine with older Pi's.  Even 2a power bricks are iffy with the 3b+
I agree a 3b+ would likely have similar issues with a 1.5a regulator on a hat/cap/cape.
-Mark

Offline bigwavedave

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
Does this mean we might need a new revision of the PiCap, to handle the newer Pi's moving forward?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
Must mean a PiCap+  David probably needs a project for next year anyway.  But at least we know now to power the Pi3B+ from an external source and not the light PSU.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
Must mean a PiCap+  David probably needs a project for next year anyway.  But at least we know now to power the Pi3B+ from an external source and not the light PSU.

Ive been using 5-6 Pi3B+ for the last two years, all powered off the PiCap.  I did have the occasional FPP Stoppage thats often reported (then again, maybe the limited amperage from the PiCap is to blame?).  But beyond occasional stoppage, zero problems.

This year, Ive switched all but two to PiZeroW.  No stoppages yet, but its too early to say (only been running a couple nights).

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
Ive been using 5-6 Pi3B+ for the last two years, all powered off the PiCap.

I'm curious how have you been running 5-6 Pi3+ for the "last two years" when the 3B+ wasn't released until March of this year?  :o

Are you sure you weren't running Pi3B (not "plus")?  Its the 3B-PLUS version (released March 2018) that we're saying is power hungry, not the previous 3B (released Feb 2016)

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
Ive been using 5-6 Pi3B+ for the last two years, all powered off the PiCap.

I'm curious how have you been running 5-6 Pi3+ for the "last two years" when the 3B+ wasn't released until March of this year?  :o

Are you sure you weren't running Pi3B (not "plus")?  Its the 3B-PLUS version (released March 2018) that we're saying is power hungry, not the previous 3B (released Feb 2016)

Ah that must be it. I didnt realize the + model came out

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 12:12:12 AM »

If he does an update tell him to look into the power forward/backward situation as well. You can actually power the PiCap/Pi  from port 1 or port 2 as well. I think it needs a diode in between the power terminal and the port power.

Offline jbrockw

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 09:45:11 PM »
I have 3 remote pi3b+s running falcon pi caps and 1 seems to have a tough time and occasionally stops in the middle of a show(loses WiFi access and FPPD stops). Im guessing this is the cause of it. Whats the proper way to power the pi3b+ with the picap on then?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
I use the PiCap on the 3B very successfully, but the 3B+ shows a lot of voltage problems in the logs, so I don't put PiCaps on them.

I ordered some higher amp rated regulators but the initial desolder attempt didn't go well so I stopped since I had a few 3Bs available.

Dave definitely needs to change his BOM to a higher amp rating.

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »
Whats the benefit of running at 3B+ over just a 3B?

I looked at the comparison specs, and didnt notice anything that would be critical to us.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »

If using it to send out e1.31 or DDP, the gigabit ethernet is great.   Also for running things like ColorLights.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »

If using it to send out e1.31 or DDP, the gigabit ethernet is great.   Also for running things like ColorLights.

Exactly my current usage!  It is cranking out the E1.31 and DDP !!!