Author Topic: Pi cap not working  (Read 1273 times)

Offline jbrockw

• Kudos: 0
Re: Pi cap not working
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 06:32:17 PM »
Im too late into the season now but Im going to have to make some changes for next year for sure. Theres been multiple nights where Ive come home and certain picaps are just displaying my background sequence when the rest of the show is running and I have to manually restart them. It appears they never fully boot and arent accessible via web browser. Crazy thing is I have to disconnect the strings and power distribution about 70% of the time for the pi to reboot properly.

What can I do to properly power these up besides not using b+s. Cut the power from the pixel outputs? Thats what it looks like would be the easiest solution. Ive noticed its always the picaps running my C9 rooflines which do consume more power.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 06:04:04 AM »
what I will probably do in January or later is replace the voltage regulator on my PiCaps with a higher rated one.
I tried desoldering with no luck (I think they used unleaded solder) so I'll just cut off the existing legs and solder a new regulator to the stumps.

The places I have successfully used the 3B+ is with P10 panels because I'm using high wattage 5vdc supplies connected to everything.
My system Master is a 3B+ but it has a 3amp dedicated power supply. Rock solid.

Offline jbrockw

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
Now thats a good idea. Im not sure I have the skill to pull that off but Im curious to see how that goes. In the meantime if I decided to just run data (and ground?) to the strings from the cap would that help any? This is my first year running pixels so Ive had to tackle a lot already this year LOL.

Im wondering now too if theres a way to startup the pis with the background sequences disabled to alleviate some power drain on boot?

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 10:09:54 AM »
Whats the 5V current requirement for the 3B+?

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »
I saw a comparison chart of the power requirements of the different pis when the 3B+ came out cannot find it now but I know idle it was about twice the 3B.
Not the chart i saw on twitter still looking for it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:56:51 AM by K-State Fan »

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
This looks like the best option (6A), but will require an additional trim-resistor (to set the voltage).   I think I'm going to tweak my Pi Zero W hat PCB to accept this footprint (in case I ever want to use a 3B+):

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delta-Electronics/NE12S0A0V06PNFA?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt6Q9lZSPl3RdZc4Qr1yDvS%2fFNK0QVEWhKKQGRih%2fJ7Bg%3d%3d

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
That chart seems odd.  The current converter on the PiHats are rated 1.5A.  The chart shows the 3B+ barely reaching 1A.  Yet people are reporting problems.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
That chart seems odd.  The current converter on the PiHats are rated 1.5A.  The chart shows the 3B+ barely reaching 1A.  Yet people are reporting problems.

If you think that's odd: With 3 different 3B+ setups using PiCaps, one of them never had a problem with a 2amp supply. The others were never happy until they had a 3amp (15watt) supply. Always had voltage warnings in the logs.

My solution was to drag out a 2B and 3B and ran the PiCap on them. My 3B+s are now used to drive Colorlights or run without PiCaps (until modified after January 6th goes by)

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
This is the one i was looking for.

Offline jbrockw

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
Question: If I only used the 2.5a wall adapter to power the pi and only sent data and ground from the string ports do you think it would help or is the cap itself draining the power needed?

What colorlight are you using? Cant let these b+ go to waste right  :) ;D

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
If you used 2.5a to power the Pi from the Micro-USB, and you move the PiCap jumpers to isolate the power between them, it will be more stable.

The power jumper positions are silk screened on the underside of the PiCap.

Offline jbrockw

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »
If you used 2.5a to power the Pi from the Micro-USB, and you move the PiCap jumpers to isolate the power between them, it will be more stable.

The power jumper positions are silk screened on the underside of the PiCap.
I finally have some time to experiment with this and will report back. I have another question. To power the pixels directly (no power ran from piCap) I plan to come off of a distro board, do I tie the ground from the distro board in with the strings ground as well? Or can I just run the power to the pixel string from a fused power connection?
If a diagram helps let me know. I'm a screen printer by trade lol!

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
Pixels will need to be grounded to both the PiCap and distribution board

Offline jbrockw

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 09:48:50 AM »
Pixels will need to be grounded to both the PiCap and distribution board
Thank you! What's the best way to make that kind of a connection? I'm used to soldering 2 wires together, but haven't done 3 before.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:43 AM »
What's the best way to make that kind of a connection?

IMHO the best way is to always run a Ground WITH your Data - never run data as just one wire.  In other words, when you come off any controller with "data only" make sure to still use two wires: 1 for ground and 1 for data.  Its an electrical circuit so people need to stop thinking that data is only one wire.   Its really two - but with 3 wire connections, the ground is a shared conductor.
-Mark