Author Topic: Lights flickering when test from fpp  (Read 397 times)

Offline wilkija

• Kudos: 0
Lights flickering when test from fpp
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:34:35 PM »
I have a f48 with 2 4 string diff boards attached for some new props this year.  When I run the test mode from f48 the colors are right and the pixels on the two boards ramp up and down fine.  If I run a test from fpp the lights flicker badly. I thought it was a grounding issue until I ran the test mode from f48.  Any ideas?

Don't think it matters, but the blank check box won't stay checked on all the ports on the f48 that I'm not using.  I say I don't think it matters because I'm unicast to my controllers, so it shouldn't see anything other than the address for that board.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Re: Lights flickering when test from fpp
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
Any possibility you have two sending units on at the same time?  Test from the FPP and test from a sequencer is a common problem.  If you are using xLights, turn off the lightbulb in the top right corner.  If you are using Vixen, check your output controllers to make sure they are off.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline wilkija

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »
Afraid not.  It's on an isolated network and the only computer with a route to it doesn't have Vixen up.  Also when I stop test mode on fpp it stops flickering, and I'd think if it was from another controller it wouldn't stop.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »
"when I stop test mode on fpp it stops flickering" is a sure fire sign that somewhere, somehow there is another source of E1.31 data going to that controller.

When the flickering stops, what does the controller do?  Do the lights stay up, or shut down?

Offline wilkija

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 08:54:37 PM »
Well I meant when I stop test mode the lights go off and stay off because I'm not running anything else.

I'll double check that the controllers are off in vixen tomorrow.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.  I'm going through everything I have experienced for these symptoms. Will let you know.

Perhaps others can come up with another idea.

Offline wilkija

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 06:10:36 AM »
Well....I feel stupid.  I think you were right about the controller somehow getting data from Vixen.  I did have Vixen open on my computer and since this is a new controller, I guess I forgot to turn it off in Vixen.

I'll test it out tonight, but thanks for the help.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
FYI - It has happened to most of us, at one time or another.  (Some even repeat it, on a regular basis.)  My favorite is setting an FPP to "always send data" - used to keep some setups 'alive' - and forgetting it was on.  Go into a sequencer and turn lights on. Flash, flash, flash.  You will swear you've turned everything off and all checks you make confirm it. But then .... That will keep you guessing, for sure.  :)

Offline KBCoggin

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
I just did this exact same thing 1 week ago with Xlights - don't feel stupid, it happens.