Author Topic: Half of matrix flickering.  (Read 230 times)

Offline skulltronix

• Kudos: 0
Half of matrix flickering.
« on: December 02, 2018, 05:49:02 PM »
I have a matrix with half running off each of the two ports of a picap.
810 nodes per half.
In one sequence half the matrix flickers constantly. I can switch ports and the flickering moves to the other half.
If I create a new sequence that is simple theres no flickering. Not a hardware issue.
But I need to use the sequence that flickers. :(
Looking for ideas to cure this.
Thx.

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
Re: Half of matrix flickering.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »
Either the export didn't go well or you don't have enough power for the sequence. If you use a lot of white or a lot of pixels at once in your sequence this taxes your power supply depending on the amperage used.

Every 100 pixels should use power injection. If you have 1600 pixels then there is a lot of power consumption there.

I would try a bigger power supply/supplies?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
Also with that many pixels and picap, if you are powering the pi thru the picap try powering the pi thru the normal uSD power connector.  You might be putting too much of a drain on power simultaneous with the pixels and the cap.  And as Dan Kulp has stated the PiCap probably does not provide enough power to a Pi if you are using a Pi3B+ which is very power hungry.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:14:34 PM »
Are you using 50ms or 25ms timing in the sequence?  I think Dan mentioned that the limit is closer to 600 pixels if using 25ms timing.
-
Chris