Author Topic: Pi-cap setup 2 outputs 2 strings of rgb  (Read 499 times)

Offline torn8o

• Kudos: 0
Pi-cap setup 2 outputs 2 strings of rgb
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:47:48 PM »
I really hate to be the guy to ask. I have searched over the forums for a few days and can not seem to locate my answer. I have a RPI b3 with a newly purchased pi-cap. I built a 600 pixel 1800 channel mega tree. I would like this mega tree to display the output from one of the ports on my pi-cap. I also have 4 croma canes with 48 pixels each for a total of 192 pixels and 576 channels. At the end of the croma cane run I have a croma star which is 90 pixels and 270 channels. I do have the setup completed enough that all the lights come on and work and the sequence flows wonderfully. I have attached a link to view the lights. Unfortunately my sequence has more flair. 
https://nextcloud.torn8o.me/index.php/s/bYaxb6bx4BTFida

All the data I have found suggests its possible to run 2 strings independent of one another. There has been so many upgrades to the Fpp and Xlights the options I found are not relevant. I cant figure out how to get the universes to work or set it up using pi pixel strings in falcon player. I pulled the file off the google drive. all credit to the sequence goes to this guy Keith Hoyle5 this is the name of the file on the drive.

Christmas Eve Sarajevo - Premium - Keith Hoyle5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Pi-cap setup 2 outputs 2 strings of rgb
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:15:15 AM »
If you post the Layout screen from xLights, it wouldn't take much to create the proper setup screen for your PiCap.

Ooops - I see that in your link
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:19:03 AM by JonB256 »

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 05:18:53 AM »
You have the same start channel for both ports.
I am not sure that your settings for the second string are correct.  I do not use virtual strings so am not sure but I thought the first line needed to have all the pixels included.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »
This is what I think it should look like

Your 5% brightness might be good for "low power" but not very good for display. :)

I used the F2 key to auto-populate the "next line" of each entry. Saves a little typing and reduces typos.
Pixels are a "numbers game" and one incorrect digit makes a difference.

Offline torn8o

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
This is what I think it should look like

Your 5% brightness might be good for "low power" but not very good for display. :)

I used the F2 key to auto-populate the "next line" of each entry. Saves a little typing and reduces typos.
Pixels are a "numbers game" and one incorrect digit makes a difference.

Thank you for the reply. I will correct the setup in FPP. Do I need to set something up in xlights to have the channels translate? Do I need a universe in setup or just map the channels in the layout?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
In xLights Layout, it always gives (in parentheses) an Absolute Channel numbers.

Just be sure those match between xLights and PiCap.

Offline torn8o

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 05:23:34 PM »
In xLights Layout, it always gives (in parentheses) an Absolute Channel numbers.

Just be sure those match between xLights and PiCap.
I got them to work. Thank you so much. I must have corrupted my models with all the copy and pasting. Once I started from zero I was able to get the channels to match up with the fpp player. I am now able to show different patterns on different models. You are awesome.