Author Topic: BBB Space left on SD card?  (Read 93 times)

Offline larryk5

• Kudos: 0
BBB Space left on SD card?
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:38:03 AM »
I have my tune to sign running with a BBB. It's on v2.3 and has a 16 gig card in it. I'm running out of space. I can't remember if I have the FFP on the SD card or on the eMMC memory. Is there a way to tell? Also, if I want to upgrade the SD card, what would be the best way without having to reimage and setup the panels? It's working great but I'm out of space!

Offline TxBillbr

Re: BBB Space left on SD card?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:22:08 AM »
After I get my BBB-based controllers setup and working, I make a full backup of the configuration -- Status-> FPP Backup. If you end up having to re-setup the image, then you can just restore that.

Bill

Offline larryk5

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 06:31:07 AM »
Thanks! I see the backup function and made the file. I suspect I will have to load a fresh OS and on the SD card then retire the backup? Does that sound correct?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:50:21 AM »
I have my tune to sign running with a BBB. It's on v2.3 and has a 16 gig card in it. I'm running out of space. I can't remember if I have the FFP on the SD card or on the eMMC memory. Is there a way to tell? Also, if I want to upgrade the SD card, what would be the best way without having to reimage and setup the panels? It's working great but I'm out of space!

If you go to the about page, if both the "root" and "media" free space are exactly the same, you are likely running off the SD card.  (or you are running on the eMMC and not using the SD card for anything)   Also, if you go to the FPP settings, in the Storage Device drop down, it will list the boot device.   mmcblk0 is the SD card, mmcblk1 is the eMMC. 

If you are running on the SD card, you COULD try selecting the eMMC for storage, have it format it as btrfs, and see if that gives you enough space.   The fseq files compress VERY well.   I was able to fit my entire 14GB of fseq files for my show in under 2GB of space.

That all said, since you are 2.3, make sure you backup everything first.  Changing storage locations will wipe out everything.   2.5 would prompt to copy the settings. 
Dan Kulp

Offline larryk5

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:19:19 PM »
Thanks Dan! I actually deleted all the sequences on the SD card and I was able to load everything I needed. I'll mess with it after December, have to change things when the show is working. Have you tried any 64GB SD cards on the BBB? I use them on my Master Pi without any problems and it's running v2.1

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
Thanks Dan! I actually deleted all the sequences on the SD card and I was able to load everything I needed. I'll mess with it after December, have to change things when the show is working. Have you tried any 64GB SD cards on the BBB? I use them on my Master Pi without any problems and it's running v2.1

My master BBB is using a 128GB Samsung EVO Select.  :)

Offline larryk5

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
Cool! I have some 64GB's I'll use!