Author Topic: F48 / raspberry pi/ sound??  (Read 547 times)

Offline Softee

• Kudos: 0
F48 / raspberry pi/ sound??
« on: December 08, 2018, 12:26:39 AM »
Ok, here is the question I have.

This year I am using a pi with the falcon pi cap installed and it works perfectly. However for next year I would like to add about 4,000 pixels. Way more then the pi can handle. So I have been researching the f48 and it seems to fit the bill almost perfectly. It will transmit DMX to run my lor controllers and still be able to run all the pixels and store sequences. Basically take the pi's place to run the show.
1)However no.one ever asks the question about music, in the 2 videos I watched it says it has ports for sound but they are not supported supposedly, is this true?? If so how do you guys run your music with this controller??
2) wifi also is supposedly not supported yet either,how are you logging into it online to set it up?? With ethernet  cable ? If so does it stay plugged in while in use since it needs this connection to function??
3) In Fpp page does it look like the falcon pi fpp page where I can setup times and playlists,etc. With my saved sequences. Basically what else is needed to run this beast?? Once I get it powered on ,boards hooked to it,etc. What else is needed to make it my show brain, like my little falcon pi cap is? No one has made a video with this showing one fully running with a show playing from the boards!

Online K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
Re: F48 / raspberry pi/ sound??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:49:46 AM »
Most people use FPP on a pi to run the show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »
The firmware development for the F16v3 is where the work is taking place. While the F48 is similar, there are differences that won't allow it to use the same firmware updates.

That being said, the F16v3 beta firmware is doing exactly what you want the F48 to do. Run remotely and play audio and drive DMX boards.
I've done all that (except sound).

Once that is "good" it will get moved onto the F48 and you'll be good to go. I have no insight into the timeline, though.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
While audio and sound are coming there are limitations such as all updates must be done by removing the uSD card and taking it to a computer.  I would recommend you consider having a Pi with FPP control the show and do the audio. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Softee

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
Ok, I just ordered my f48 and 8 controller boards.

Now before I get it at the end of the month a had a few simple questions.

I have a pi with a falcon pi cap, running house under eve lights(permanent)and running sound as well as myLOR  singers. That was last year.

Now this year with the f48, I change the output cat5 to dmx, correct?( which last year was running the LOR) Which goes to the f48. Then run. My LOR off the f48, instead if the pi, right?

Now port wise are the 2 pi pixel ports, 1 and 2 and then the first set of ports on the f48 are ports 3,4,5,6 and so on, am I correct on this thinking??

If so what channels are the LOR controllers set  on?? Is it first 2 are on the pi cap, then the first 48 channels on the f48 controller are the LOR outputs. Then starts the F48 boards which would start at 51 instead of 1. Since I have 48 LOR's and 2 pi cap before the f48 controller starts.