Author Topic: Best way to configure a megatree with a ball at the top?  (Read 239 times)

Offline summetj

• Kudos: 0
Best way to configure a megatree with a ball at the top?
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »
Last year I set up a megatree (16 vertical strands of 50 lights each, each of the 16 strands running off of one port on my Falcon F16V3 controller). This layout was easy to configure in Xlights as it has a built in tree.
This year I've made things slightly more complicated by building a "ball" at the top of the tree, so the last 8 lights in each strand go up and around the ball. My old sequences "work" with the ball as just an extension of the top of the tree, but I'd like the ability to model/sequence this guy as two different objects, one megatree, and one ball.

Questions:
1. How to layout the "ball" in xLights?
2. How to map the tree and "ball" separately? (I've been using absolute addressing mode so far, but my F16V3 has the ability to map virtual strings, so I could put the last 8 lights in each string into it's own virtual string / universe, but I have no idea if this is the "best" way to do things...)
Any comments as to tutorials to look at, suggested layout tricks, etc would be appreciated.
Thanks,Jay

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 119
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Best way to configure a megatree with a ball at the top?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:27:38 AM »
Wiring it that way makes sense electrically but does complicate the modeling in xLights.

You could do it at least two different ways.

First (wouldn't need to use Virtual strings) would be to do all the modeling in xLights for a Custom Model using the Absolute Channel numbers for all those 8 pixels strings.

Second would be to create a more conventional Matrix model in xLights with those 8 pixels per string on the ball, then, use the Virtual String capability of the F16 to "add" those non-sequential channels to the end of your Mega tree channels.

Offline summetj

• Kudos: 0
Re: Best way to configure a megatree with a ball at the top?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:40:04 AM »
Thanks!  I ended up using virtual strings in the controller with a Tree and a Matrix in xLights.
The 16x8 matrix works relatively well for the ball at the top (especially with bands/spirals, etc...).
Are there any effects designed specifically for 3D spheres where it would be worth my time to model the ball as an actual sphere? (Looks like most effects are designed for 2D surfaces, I'm not even sure if xLights supports a 3D laytout....)