Author Topic: Keeping channel numbering when uploading controller configuration from Xlights  (Read 562 times)

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 78

I do something similar, but without universes.

Each "Controller" has a huge block of channels (more than they need, I waste space in fseq files, but who cares.  Particularly now that they are compressed (0's compress real well) and sparse).     The "first" prop in a series (or on the controller) uses the "Controller:Channel".   For example "6:1" is the first channel on controller 6 (happens to be my FPPCarPort controller).   Props are chained from there.   I sometimes will group the chains a bit.   "6:1" is the icicles.   "6:5000" is the start of the CandyCanes, etc... 

My TuneTo P5 is "9:1".   Sometime this year, I want to update that to allow for host names.  Thus, it will really be "FPPTuneTo:1".  All the actual channel numbers are calculated automatically.  (and now pushed to the controllers via FPP Connect)
Dan Kulp

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 5

I do something similar, but without universes.
Each "Controller" has a huge block of channels (more than they need, I waste space in fseq files, but who cares.
How do you set up your network in XLights? I want to actually try other methods to see how they work.
Particularly now that they are compressed (0's compress real well) and sparse).     The "first" prop in a series (or on the controller) uses the "Controller:Channel".   For example "6:1" is the first channel on controller 6 (happens to be my FPPCarPort controller).   Props are chained from there.   I sometimes will group the chains a bit.   "6:1" is the icicles.   "6:5000" is the start of the CandyCanes, etc...
So the notation is similar to the Universe/Channel notation but your end channel will just be the end channel of that series and no change in Universe number? I don't have a problem using the Universe/Channel with this because XLights will tell me where it ends...LOL
My TuneTo P5 is "9:1".   Sometime this year, I want to update that to allow for host names.  Thus, it will really be "FPPTuneTo:1".  All the actual channel numbers are calculated automatically.  (and now pushed to the controllers via FPP Connect)
So the Universe or ID in the network setup would be a host name?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.