Author Topic: p10 matrix build ???  (Read 441 times)

Offline Ntjp

• Kudos: 0
p10 matrix build ???
« on: December 20, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »
Wanting to build a 5 foot by 3 foot P10 display for next year.  New at this so want to make sure I order everything right.  Was going to use the F48.  If I figure this right would need 30 P10 boards and 8 4-String differential receiver boards.  Then would have 4 ports left on the F48 that could run to 4 more 4-string differential receiver broads for running other props.  How many power supplies are needed to do this also?
 I would then buy another F48 to run pixel strings on the house.  I am new to this and want to get everything ordered right the first time.  I am thinking the F48's will allow me expansion and make it easier as each port can power 4 strings at different locations.  This would solve any distance problems that might come up.

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
Re: p10 matrix build ???
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
F48 can not control P10 or P5 panels.   You'll need a BBB/Octoscroller, PocketScroller, PiMatrixHat, or Colorlight/Linsyn type of controller for those type of panels.   
-Mark

Offline Ntjp

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »
Thank you   good thing I asked.  Was wanting to use Raspberry Pi3B+ to run show.  So,, would I want a [size=0px]PiMatrixHat?  Will have research what these are[/size]

Offline Ntjp

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »
Perhaps I should be asking what I need to builf the 5 foot by 3 foot P10 matrix.  Figure 20 P10 panels, power supply or supplies and then what.  Also where to buy the supplies. 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 118
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:04:41 PM »
Perhaps I should be asking what I need to builf the 5 foot by 3 foot P10 matrix.  Figure 20 P10 panels, power supply or supplies and then what.  Also where to buy the supplies.

The P10 panels are nominally 6" by 12" (actually 160mm by 320mm). Since that is 1/2 a square ft., for a 15 square ft setup, it will take 30 panels.

I know some will use a single 5v 300watt supply for that but I'd use two.

A RasPi3B+ and a PiMatrix hat will work - but - but - a Beaglebone and Octoscroller combo is better for that size.

Offline Ntjp

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 08:52:25 AM »

A RasPi3B+ and a PiMatrix hat will work - but - but - a Beaglebone and Octoscroller combo is better for that size

So will the Raspeberry Pi work with the Beaglebone?

Offline garhett

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »

A RasPi3B+ and a PiMatrix hat will work - but - but - a Beaglebone and Octoscroller combo is better for that size

I was told 3+ will as it is 1gig

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »

I was told 3+ will as it is 1gig

The Pi and the BeagleBone are separate computers.  They can talk together, but the hats/capes for each are not interchangeable.  You can use FPP on both the Pi and the BBB and the two FPP instances can talk to each other in a master/remote setup or by one system sending E1.31 or DDP to the other system.
-
Chris

Offline Ntjp

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
I know nothing about the BBB.  The Raspberry Pi 3B+ has built in WiFi.  Does the BBB have WiFi?  Watched the video by Canispater Christmas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPl8H-KP-os
It was very informative and looks like easy to set up.  Could run up to 64 panels.  I am new at this, sorry for all of the questions. Learned how to set up the Pi this year.  It did not work out with my LOR controllers so I am buying everything new for next year.  So I could use the Pi to run my show with FPP and set up with a F48 for the house and with the BBB running the P10 display.  Also was planning on keeping the Pixcon16 LOR controller, it will run as DMX so should be able to run it from the F48 in DMX.  Would the BBB be hard wired to the PI or WiFi? 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 118
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »
I know nothing about the BBB.  The Raspberry Pi 3B+ has built in WiFi.  Does the BBB have WiFi?  Watched the video by Canispater Christmas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPl8H-KP-os
It was very informative and looks like easy to set up.  Could run up to 64 panels. 

So I could use the Pi to run my show with FPP and set up with a F48 for the house and with the BBB running the P10 display.  Also was planning on keeping the Pixcon16 LOR controller, it will run as DMX so should be able to run it from the F48 in DMX. 

Would the BBB be hard wired to the PI or WiFi?

The Canispater video is out of date - latest version of FPP (v2.5.3) on a BBB/Octoscroller will do 96 panels :)

Yes, you can use an FPP (I use a RasPi3B+) to drive an F48 and a BBB for the P10 (I drive 4 of them). The F48 will easily output DMX to your Pixcon16.

I highly recommend CAT5 to the BBB (in Bridge mode), but you could also run it as a Wireless Remote (Remote Mode).

Offline Ntjp

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
That is good to know.  Will start looking for the BBB and [size=0px]Octoscroller. Going to run the Pixcon16 in DMX mode.  It is my Mega tree and it works.  No reason to start over on that.  Also have a Dumb RGB LOR controller that works in DMX.  May keep it for the flood lights.  Know it works WiFi, but, I have been doing everything hard wire and figure will stay that way.  Just like to have the WiFi option if decide to go that way.  This ost has been very helpful in determining which way to go.  Have not had much suggestions on where to buy from, so for now looking mostly at Ray Wu for the pixel strings and P10 panels.  [/size]

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
Will start looking for the BBB and Octoscroller.

May I suggest you look at Dan Kulp's PocketScroller?   Its a more compact, less-expensive solution than BBB/Octoscroller with slightly less capability (72 max panels on PocketScroller vs 96 max panels on Octoscroller). Dan offers them with or without the PocketBeagle attached.   You can try to reach Dan (dkulp) on this forum or you can order them through Tindie https://www.tindie.com/products/dkulp/pocketscroller-led-panel-cape-for-pocketbeagle/

Offline Ntjp

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
thank you for the link.  The hardest thing I have found is when someone recommends a product I cannot find it in stock when searching  The more info given, the better choice to be made.