Author Topic: New viewer request plugin and accompanying web site for 2019  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Kensington Graves

• Kudos: 1
Re: New viewer request plugin and accompanying web site for 2019
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2019, 12:09:14 PM »
^^ It already does that.  If you want to see a live test site, you can visit mine at halestreetlights.controlmylights.com.  It doesnt have the full song list, but youll get the basic feel.

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:17 AM »
Something odd happened this morning.  I was setting up a new master FPP and I uploaded all of my songs to the new FPP and then added them to the CML_Default playlist using the FPP playlist manager.  When I logged in to the CML admin site immediately afterwards, all of the songs appeared in the "current queue" list.  I cleared the queue and they disappeared (as expected).  I checked the site song list, and it had not changed from what I had set up earlier.

Also, after setting up the dynamic playlist, FPP was rapidly scrolling through the CML_Default playlist repeatedly when nothing was in the queue.  I seem to recall that is a symptom of a bad file name somewhere, correct?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:38:25 AM by Kensington Graves »

Offline tomhammond

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2019, 08:07:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Kensington.  For voters that are from the Internet (not on the street), can the request code be displayed on the page?  If the code changes, the page will always display the latest code?  I also wonder if the location (city/state/country) can be displayed on the page as well?

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Kensington.  For voters that are from the Internet (not on the street), can the request code be displayed on the page?  If the code changes, the page will always display the latest code?  I also wonder if the location (city/state/country) can be displayed on the page as well?
There has been some discussion on this and I think it comes down to what appeals to the masses. How many people have a live web cam of their display and is it worth the time it takes to code something like this for one or two people? (if there are more that have live webcams, then speak up)
Traditionally, light shows are for the people that drive out of their way to watch your show, so I think (and this is just my opinion) that those people should get the benefit of seeing what they want. If you have a webcam, the internet viewers can watch what the audience has requested. I don't like the idea of potentially thousands of people (or even bots) controlling my show and not actually there watching it.

With that being said, there is a provision for a "special" access code that you can give select individuals to request songs, If you want to blast this access code on your Webcam page feel free. If you want to update this code, you could write a small program to parse the current access code from your controlmylights portal and display it on your webcam page.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline tomhammond

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:12 AM »
No problem, I understand that not many use live cams and even fewer allow Internet viewers control of their lights.  :)

I read through the history of this topic, but can't remember something.  With the plugin, will it allow playing a regular sequence when no one is there, but the moment someone arrives to vote, the regular sequence stops and plays their chosen sequence immediately (instead of waiting for the regular sequence to finish)?

In other words, when no votes are in the queue, the regular sequence plays, but when there are votes, it stops immediately and the chosen sequence plays, and plays to the end to allow the next chosen sequence to play (if there are more votes).  When there are no more votes, the regular sequence resumes again.  Is that possible?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 6
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »
If this operates the way that the LOR equivalent works, it does not stop the existing sequence from playing - nor would you want it to.  It would not make sense to have a half dozen people watching the show, and have one person vote in a song that they want to see resulting in messing up the show for everyone else.  When someone votes in a song, it becomes the next song to play.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2019, 09:59:17 AM »
I read through the history of this topic, but can't remember something.  With the plugin, will it allow playing a regular sequence when no one is there, but the moment someone arrives to vote, the regular sequence stops and plays their chosen sequence immediately (instead of waiting for the regular sequence to finish)?
You can have a default playlist that will play if there is nothing in the queue. If someone requests a song, the current song will finish and the first song in the queue will play.

In other words, when no votes are in the queue, the regular sequence plays, but when there are votes, it stops immediately
No it will let the currently playing song to complete
and the chosen sequence plays, and plays to the end to allow the next chosen sequence to play (if there are more votes).  When there are no more votes, the regular sequence resumes again.  Is that possible?
That is how it works

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
And there is a metric that should be implemented that plays requests based on the number of votes cast for different songs.  I don't think Chris has implemented the code yet, but it's in the admin UI.

The queue is also limited to a certain number of requests at a time, which serves as a speedbump to hijackers.  And the administrator can clear the queue at-will, so if someone spams one request, it can get wiped quickly.

With respect to displaying the request code on a webcam feed, there's already software that will overlay text or graphics on a stream if you want to place a code for cam viewers.  Not necessary to add code for the limited use it would get.

Offline tomhammond

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2019, 08:39:02 PM »
OK, thanks for the explanation!  May I request to be added to the beta testers group?  My email is tominohio@gmail.com

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2019, 08:25:48 PM »
Beta is closed for the moment; actually, its more like an alpha version.  Capt has kept the initial test group small, and he has been working on other aspects of FPP lately (to say nothing of his day job).  Not much has changed since the roll-out, although I continue to try to find creative ways to cause problems and break things. :) I believe Capt will open it up again after mid-year when people start the serious ramping up and he finishes the code.

Offline vcuncg

« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
Are there any more thoughts on opening the beta up for others to test out?  I would love to add this functionality to my show this year if possible.  Thanks for all the work!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »
Are there any more thoughts on opening the beta up for others to test out?  I would love to add this functionality to my show this year if possible.  Thanks for all the work!

That is a pretty old post - the beta was for what is now running in v2.5 and higher.

If you want to see the "latest" updates, you can switch to the "master" branch. Updates get tested there before migrating into the current production version v2.7.1

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2019, 06:01:08 PM »
That plugin is still in the beta testing, but it works pretty good so far! It isn't in the Master Branch

Offline vcuncg

« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »
That plugin is still in the beta testing, but it works pretty good so far! It isn't in the Master Branch

Ok, thank you. Sounds like I'll just need to wait a bit longer if it's not yet in the master branch. Off to build more props in the meantime.  ;D

« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »
Popo, do you mean that it wont pull down on Mater anymore?  I did an update on one of my FPPs I could not pull the plugin down using the plugin repo address originally given out.  Its still on the first FPP where I loaded it.

And Im still having problems with the plugin scrolling through sequences as mentioned above.  Next step is to recompile, rename, and reload the sequences.  Ive wiled the plugin down to the bare metal several time and still have the scrolling problem.