Author Topic: Recommended Router for Show  (Read 257 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Kudos: 0
Recommended Router for Show
« on: December 25, 2018, 06:24:23 PM »
Merry Christmas Everyone.

I'm looking at getting a new router or 2 that I can use for my show next year and am looking for Recommendations. I want it to be able to support E131 should I decide to go that way later. I want one strong to support remote FPP's. This year I was using a cheap router and from time to time the remote FPP's seemed to loose connection pause, which I believe is because of distance and having to go thru the walls in my house/garage.

Here are my questions.
1.) do you use a separate router for your show then for all your other home devices?
2.) if you use a separate one for you show is it outside or inside?
3.) which router (Brand/Model) do you use and does it support E131.

Thanks for your input.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Recommended Router for Show
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
I use a router on an entirely separated network from the house and internet. That way there's no issues if someone is using all the upload or download speed that things are capable of.All routers/switches are E1.31 capable. E1.31 is just normal Ethernet but the packets have info in them to say that they contain DMX info.It sounds like you are running wifi if you're talking about walls in the road. Wi-fi is truly terrible for lighting networks. With all the electronic noise generated by the lights, cables and power supplies it is entirely normal to loose lots of packets and experience delays. Wired Ethernet is always the more reliable option. Wi-fi is okay for sending sync packets for FPP but even then it can get swamped by electrical noise.The best style of router is 1 that support IGMP snooping. What that does is allows you to send multicast out and it "learns" what devices want what universes and thus only sends the desired universes to them. This relieves the processor load on all E1.31 devices and takes advantage of the benefits of multicast.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 06:39:08 PM »
Here are my questions.
1.) do you use a separate router for your show then for all your other home devices?
I have always used a separate physical router for the show.  Was using a 10yr old Dlink DIR-655 but its age started showing and I replaced it with an ASUS AC66U-B1
2.) if you use a separate one for you show is it outside or inside?
It is inside my house but mounted in a closet on the front wall of the house.  I get good signal in my basement, also across the street and in my back yard
3.) which router (Brand/Model) do you use and does it support E131.
Is there a router that does not support e1.31???  I've never heard of such a thing.

Thanks for your input.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:08:24 AM »
I do not use a separate router for my show.I use an Asus router with DD-WRT firmware in the basement and an Unif AP Ac Pro access point mounted in the garage ceiling.  The only thing that hooks up to that access point are my pi.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »
i use a $20.00 Netgear router with no issues and I use a $9.00 dlink off of Amazon for off season testing in the garage.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline ChristmasBug

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 08:44:47 AM »
I run a manage switch so I can control the ports.
CISCO SYSTEMS Sg350
Raspberry pi - 1 Main
 1 x F16V2-R Pixel Controller