Author Topic: Possible Layout  (Read 692 times)

Offline Xmas!

• Kudos: 2
Possible Layout
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
Hello everyone. I am attaching a couple different versions of what I think my layout will be. Any help tweaking things for best results will be greatly appreciated. I will list what I have planned as well incase the picture doesnt show very well.

P/I boxes will have a power supply and 2 F-8 Distros each
Main box will have a power supply and F16V3
Yard tree will contain 16 strips of 50 lights each
Wreaths will contain 200 lights each
Around 3000+ pixels total

Am I overdoing it with the power injection?
Do I need anything else if I am going to be using a computer?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Cocoa, FL
My name is Steve and I'm just getting started. but I think this will become a huge hobby!!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Possible Layout
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »
That house has great lines for lights.  If that was my house I would be using 12v lights and use 3 F16v3 with no PI.  One for the tree and future yard stuff, One on each side of the front door since I would make the columns by the front door mini vertical matrices.  Since we all grow every year you will eventually want more ports to connect to and by buying the F16s now you will have room to grow.  Also buy extra strings of lights, - for future replacement if needed and also to give you something to experiment with on other props.

Just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:27:22 AM »
Thats a great idea Jim but it also adds quite a bit as far as the cost. I don't mind the P/I since the 5V lights will use less power overall. I do plan on adding to my display every year with lawn decorations and the sort so multiple F16V3s are my choice as well, but just not right away. Unless you don't think 1 controller can handle all the lights I plan to have.

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
You sure you want to use 5V?  Those are more sensitive to voltage drops and require more power injection.  Most people are using 12V.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
I am open to anything since I'm am just starting. If 12V is the way to go then I may do that. I just want to know what I need for the layout I want. Not sure how much it would be to piece an F16V3 controller box together, but $380 (x3) for a preassembled one will be over a grand. Thats not including lights, extensions, software.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
Here is another possible setup. I boke down all the different outputs by color. Doing it this way I would need 1 controller for the entire house and then 1 for the tree (not shown). If I separate everything, including the 3 wreaths, into it's own output it gives me 15. Is this too much for 1 F16V3 to handle?

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Personally, I would group many of those elements that so you dont use so many outputs.  For example, the left window/column could easily be just one output.  Same with your front door area.

Layout-wise: have you considered wrapping a matrix/grid around/over the 4 columns, instead of just two strands?

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
I could definitely groupd some things together. What do you think about grouping the columns into 2 sets vice 4 individuals? I originally was going to do a grid on all 4 columns. (6) 50 light strands on each of the small ones in a 3"x3" config and (18) 50 light strands on each of the large columns in a 3"x3" config. The small columns are 18" and the large ones are 50". I think this will be a "next year upgrade". I plan on starting with just the 2 strands of 50 on each of the 4 columns and then expanding later.

Keep the ideas coming!!

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »
Good idea to start simple and have some ideas for expanding in the future.

I would group the left columns AND window together.  You could also easily group that stray right-window with the front door area (either door or columns).

With the correct groupings, you can minimize the number of outputs needed (and thus the total number of controllers).

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:54:02 AM »
I like the idea of grouping the window and columns together. How does this look? I want to keep the isolated window separate so I can do some sequencing from side to side of the house. I also added the tree.

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
For your tree, you mention strips....  you really do not want to use strips at all if you can avoid it.  Repair in the yard is almost impossible.  Suggest you plan on using nodes of some type with Boscoyo Pixel Mounting strips.  I second the suggestion to use all 12v Pixels, way less power injection to deal with.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
For your tree, you mention strips....  you really do not want to use strips at all if you can avoid it.  Repair in the yard is almost impossible.  Suggest you plan on using nodes of some type with Boscoyo Pixel Mounting strips.  I second the suggestion to use all 12v Pixels, way less power injection to deal with.
That is exactly what I am doing.

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 12:00:26 PM »
I like the idea of grouping the window and columns together. How does this look? I want to keep the isolated window separate so I can do some sequencing from side to side of the house. I also added the tree.

Just to clarify:  even though you have windows and columns GROUPED (on the same output), you can still program them all SEPARATELY (in the software).  How you group them (on your outputs) has no impact/limitation on how you can program and sequence.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 12:06:06 PM »
Ok great! That is the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks again!

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »
How far is your tree to the house? The data transmission distance from the controller to the first pixel has to be around 25 feet(estimated only as there are variables) This can be increased with other hardware. 2 F16s will be plenty for what you have planned. It isn't so much about the ports,  each port can handle about 1000 pixels. Your current tree design can be handled by one port. (Injection will be needed)
For your this set up, I would probably put the F16 near the front door. It is centrally located and the wiring might be easier.  (When I get home I will post a suggested layout) and then a differential receiver at the tree.  It doesn't matter how you group or wire things in regards to sequencing.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.