Author Topic: *solved* Very detailed issue for 12v strings flicker with video(daytime)  (Read 308 times)

Offline tubasteve

• Kudos: 0
If running 5v and 12v strings of the same extender.... Power by 12v NOT 5v....

I'm a little late to the game but here is a as brief breakdown of the issue.

House is setup with 5v strings in the roof while the 12v strings are the vertical line accent on the house.

On the same differential RX board the 12v strips flicker/lock up then when a big change happens will work, the 5v strips on the same board are fine. 

Basic setup:
Using 16V3 as main controller with differential expansion controller going to 3 differential receiver boards. The receivers are powered by 5v with both 5v and 12v strings being controlled by the same receiver board. The only thing the RX board is being used for is the common ground and the signal for the ws2812 lights on BOTH 5v and 12 v strings. I have a 12v string hooked directly to the 16v3 main board and works 100% zero issues. But it seems the further the RX boards get from the main controller the worse it gets with the locking up and flickering.

Things I've done to fix it to no help or change:

- Used different ports on the RX
- Check connections on the green connector
- Guessed maybe the led type output(I know they are w2811 though)
- have another 12v PSU(power) out at the later strip thinking power loss
- Grounds are good
- changed the brightness on the specific string from 100 through 10% to see if it was an over power issue

basics:
Cable ran to the RX boards is cat5e( only thing I can think of would be this is not wired like a network cable, just same on both ends(got lazy))

https://youtu.be/EA8Y6F7Fx5o
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:22:39 PM by tubasteve »
I fly

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
Re: Very detailed issue for 12v strings flicker with video(daytime)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
It sounds like you are trying to run BOTH 12v and 5v lights "off the same differential reciever" ... I don't think you can do that unless its for data only (which I guess you are saying you are doing -- so assuming you are injecting power to the lights somewhere AFTER the diff rcvr(s).  I would try brand new cat5 cables.  I don't know how many times that was the problem for me (LOTS).  The stranded cat5 works better than the non stranded.  I've found super cheap cat5 like from dollar stores ... its so thin ... its not worth using.  I've always using monoprice cat5 or cat6, stranded ... mainly because that was the original LYNX standard for smart strings.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 12:57:44 PM »
What is your distance to first pixel from the Receiver board to that problem 12v string?

and if more than a few feet, what kind of wire are you using?

You said that a 12v strings works great from the F16v3 but can you (probably not convenient) connect the problem string to the F16v3 main board?

That behavior reminds me of two problems: 1) weak data signal from long wire to first pixel, or 2) bad first pixel.

Offline tubasteve

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
Thank you for getting back.

Im using 'Southwire' cat5e which is single core<really not liking you said the multi-strand though....UG

Power is injected and only data and grounds are shared with the RX.

Off to the big box stores to hopefully get the multi-strand. I hope thats it as it seems limited on what else it could really be.

Offline tubasteve

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »
John b256

Its 6 inches away(or less) and is the same on three different RX boards.

Let me clean up what I said:
Im doing this setup 3 different times across 3 RX boards getting worse so im thinking wiring.
and the furthest run from the 16v3 is 80ft maybe to the RX and from the rx all strings are within 6 inches.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 01:40:23 PM »
Im using 'Southwire' cat5e which is single core

Solid wire Cat5e is NOT the problem for data. Now, if you are making your own cables and you aren't conforming to the correct Spec, then than can be an issue.

Using the "B" spec (most common by far) when you look at your CAT5 ends, BOTH ends should be:

Orange/White, Orange, Green/White, Blue, Blue/White, Green, Brown/White, Brown

Offline tubasteve

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
Okay,

Appreciate the feed back.
Couldn't locate multistrand locally, then read from John b256 the last comment. They're now set to standard of "b" with the same issue. I grabbed a known good 12v(one attached directly to the 16v3 board. The same flickering /lockup are happening so don't think it's the string /bad led.

I have a cable tester and they all passed (checks shorts /wiring order. It's almost like all three extenders are defective?

Offline tubasteve

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
If I disconnect the 5v string(ground and signal only) issue goes away.

Ps
Does this verification thing ever go away? (for the forum)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 04:52:23 PM »
Verification is an antispammer measure.  I think it goes away after your first 5 posts.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5