Author Topic: WS2813 or WS2818 pixels?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
Re: WS2813 or WS2818 pixels?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
Must say that over my 6 years using pixels I have not had many failures that this would fix

I'm very surprised by that statement.  In my experience, most failures fall into one of two categories: single color failure which only affects that one pixel, or whole pixel failure which takes down everything after it.  This fixes the one that is more severe and so I find it to be very useful.   As I mentioned before, the production cost different is minuscule and its very likely that World Semi is already converting (or converted) to just making the single 2818 wafers and dies.  The only cost difference will be how they are packaged and marketed
-Mark

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »
I have had lots of single color failures, but very few total failures.  And other than in the top half of a mega tree most of my stuff is easy to remove and bring inside to fix.  Might be because the older I get the easier I plan to make setup and tear down so I do not have things on my roof any more or in other places I can't easily get to.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
I can see this being very handy for someone who has pushed the limits of the controller and connected huge numbers of pixels to the same output.
Yes, that is one of the added benefits.   If/when I migrate over to this newer model, I will definitely run much longer strings than I do now.   For example. I currently use a full F16 for each megatree because I don't want a single pixel failure to knock out a large portion of the tree.  These new pixels allow the the whole tree to run on just a few ports without the risk of a single failure blacking out a large section of the tree.

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
Jim--I haven't had a huge # of pixel failures, but  two years in a row I have had failures of pixels in "high places" (an 18' mega) that I just have been frustrated with because I didn't have time to roll down to ladder-height & fix....   So I had to watch about 1/4 of a strand intermittently work/not work/get stuck/flash/etc....   I am going to do an additional mega for 2019 so thought if I had a chance to just have single pixels "out" due to failures instead of strand sections, I would LOVE that....

Offline Voltorb

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »
Im wondering how you will know if a pixel goes bad with these?  Youll only know if two in a row go bad right?
John

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
Im wondering how you will know if a pixel goes bad with these?  Youll only know if two in a row go bad right?

It really depends on the failure type.  If the output of a pixel fails then you wont see anything wrong because the next pixel will use the backup signal, but if a pixel itself fails and starts lighting up with the wrong color or not lighting at all, then you will see it just as you do now with existing pixels.
-
Chris