Author Topic: Newbie starting out and looking for advice..  (Read 424 times)

Offline xtremedew

• Kudos: 0
Newbie starting out and looking for advice..
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
I have been wanting to get into this for some time now. My old lights are finally on their last leg and can be tossed out. Now I am looking to start small, but have some room to grow. I have seen the F16v3 and the F48, but cant really decide.

I like the idea of the F48 being "tucked" away and then just running ethernet cable to a diff board and then controlling the lights from there. The cost is the same between the two board, so is there anything that would make me want to go with the F16v3 over the F48? I know I would need power at the diff boards, etc.

I am looking to run some lights on my roof lines, and maybe some arches to start. I would also like to look to run some flood lights (these would be year round, though), so that could factor in with my decision.

I already have ordered a PiCap to start some testing and playing around.

Let me now if i am missing anything.

Offline Reys Dad

• Kudos: 1
Re: Newbie starting out and looking for advice..
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
I'm kind of new also but here is my 2 cents
I'd sketch out where you want to put everything plus any future expansions you are considering and that might help you decide. If you have a lot of string connections of the same voltage fairly close maybe within 10 to 15 feet of where you plan to mount your main controller you might be better off with the F16. The F16 can run one side 8 ports with 5v and one side with the other 8 ports with 12v or you can make both sides all 16 ports the same. You can always add an expansion card and get run 4 diff receivers off the F16. If you are going to be more spread out than that and want a large mix of 5V and 12v receivers maybe go with the F48.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
You should come up with your layout first. Once you know what it is your planning to do you can decide if the F16 or F48 are what you need. I use an F16 with expansion boards and differential receivers for the ground level items. F48 is for the house outlines, Windows and doors because of the distances I am running. I'm doing three sides of the house so I'm covering some footage. This way I can have differential receivers and power supplies where I need them. Depending upon what you are looking at doing a F16 and expansion boards may do the trick for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
Don't overlook the fact that you can have a single differential receiver board attached to an F16v2/3 to give you 4 extra ports without having to get an expension board of any kind.  But the rules re #of pixels still apply as though you had a board attached.  Personally I like to have my controllers with my props and no data cables lying around in my yard.  But it is just another choice that everyone has to make for themselves.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 02:27:13 AM »
I think that the issue with that is the number of props and the distance between them that you have.  If you have a large display with a lot of props in it, wire is MUCH CHEAPER than multiple players and controllers all over the place.  If I have to run power lines across the driveway (and I do), then it is not much of an issue to run a data line or two as well but to each his own.