Author Topic: Pigtail connectors  (Read 568 times)

Offline garhett

• Kudos: 0
Pigtail connectors
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:27:39 AM »
When looking at pixels now it seems that many come with pigtail connectors.  I already have some from holidaycoro but not sure if any of the other (Ray Wu, xConnect, Paul Zhang, etc) fit to theirs.  Anyone know for sure?

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
Re: Pigtail connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
No, each vendor has their own style of connector, and they also sell just the connector so you can convert any string to be compatible with what you have. I heard that xConnect is compatible across the board, but I use exclusively Ray Wu style so I can't say with certainty. Pick a style of connector that you want to use and use that for everything. That doesn't mean that you have to buy the lights from the same company though. Just change the pigtails.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
You will use more pigtails than you ever thought possible.  Figure out what you need, double that and add another 20%.  They are very cheap so you are not spending a lot of money, but you will spend a lot more on shipping if you run out and need to buy just a couple more.  Eventually you will use up any extra since this is an addiction.  I have ordered pigtails every year.  Sometimes I wonder where they all went, but better to have them available than not.

XConnect seems to be the latest version and more and more light vendors are offering them.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 6
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
You will use more pigtails than you ever thought possible.
This is one I'm curious about.  What are you using so many pigtails on?  The only place I am using pigtails is my eves and roofline where the lights are mounted on PVC or wooden strips that are 8 to 11 feet long with connectors at the joints between strips.  Nothing (dumb or smart RGB) has pigtails between the first pixel and the controller (unless you count the wire with the connector that plugs directly into the pixel controller).
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline TxBillbr

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
2018 was my first year and I learned A LOT. I learned to put a connector between every prop, the cord to the prop, and the controller to the cord. This facilitates movement, storage, and troubleshooting. It also allowed me to have 1 foot F-amp cords. Being my first year, I also learned who not to buy pixels from. So I had to terminate both ends of many (40) strings. YMMV.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
Who did you learn NOT to buy pixels from?

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 01:07:08 PM »
I quit buying pigtails a couple years ago and started just buying 5' extension cords instead.  It's only a little bit more expensive and it allows me to have any length pigtail I want because I can cut anywhere.  It also makes it easy to test each "set" to make sure they work before I spend time soldering and heat shrinking them.  I get a batch of 5' extensions, string 5 extensions together with a pixel on the end and see if the pixel lights.  If it does, all 5 are good, if it doesn't then I take one extension off at a time to find the bad one.

Something to think about....
-
Chris

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
Captain You are still using pigtails just making your own.

@k6cc  I put pigtails on both ends of almost every string.  Strings can get moved around to other props and sometimes you will find that it works better to string 2 or more props together to free up a port or because this year you moved them closer together in your yard.  Strings get cut apart and now you need another set of pigtails.  I also count the ones that I put on a controller.  I have a male pigtail for every port on every controller I own.  Don't always use them since I may not need a port, but I still have the pigtail available.  I've also learned that having longer male pigtails on a controller works better for cord congestion unless you are using cable glands - I do not use glands as most of my controllers are in marine battery boxes the the pigtails just hang out the opening formed in the top.  You can solder 3 pigtails together to make your own power injection cables.   All I'm saying is that I and many folks have found that you cannot have too many pigtails available.  They are cheap until you run out and need another half dozen and now you have to pay more for shipping that you have to pay for the pigtails.  And if you really have too many there are always folks who failed to order enough and need them in a hurry as setup time approaches.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 05:28:50 PM »
Captain You are still using pigtails just making your own.

I didn't say I don't use them, I said I quit buying pigtails. :)

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
OK Jim - different mentality on construction.  I never have more than one string tied end to end.  Part of that reason is that if a pixel fails in either the mode where everything downstream of the failed pixel is dead or worse, solid white; I don't end up with large amounts of my display in one of those failure modes.  And I've had both of those - in fact have one now (dead, not white).  I also tend not to change the layout much.  Another part of that is that except for my pixel tree and arches, most of the stuff on the house are GE color Effects bulbs which are limited to less than 64 pixels in a string.  If I REALLY needed to, I could fairly easily combine some of those strings as some of them are quite short (a bunch are around 25 pixels and two are 18 pixels).  Some are closer to the 63 GECE pixel limit.

I will point out that part of my construction mentality is due to the largely older controllers I am using.  I have been doing this a long time and my pixel controllers are either SanDevices E6804 or E682 and those are limited to a total of 12 universes.  I know, by today's standards, that's very limiting, but when I started, there were not that many choices as there are today.  BTW, I have one E6804 that is used as part of my year round landscape lighting that I describe as the lightest loaded pixel controller around.  It is logically driving 17 pixels.  OK, each logical pixel is really 11 physical pixels (group size of 11).  Each logical pixel is about 30 inches of smart strip in front of one of my 17 roses.  The strip is on the back side of edging and illuminates the rose and the block wall behind it.  The two photos below show that better than I may have described it.  In the strip showing the strip, the camera was sitting against the wall.  In the other photo, obviously it was taken on Valentines Day and shows most of the yard.  The wall is almost 65 feet long with a rose a little over every 3.5 feet.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 08:17:04 AM »
I quit buying pigtails a couple years ago and started just buying 5' extension cords instead.  It's only a little bit more expensive and it allows me to have any length pigtail I want because I can cut anywhere.

I do the same, and if you consider the cost-per-foot, its about the same or even less cost.   With 18" pigtails on controller outputs and string inputs, I usually needed an extension anyway.   So your method end up being less expensive overall
-Mark