Author Topic: RGB Pixel node durability?  (Read 440 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
  • Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
RGB Pixel node durability?
« on: January 01, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
Been out of the game for a year and contemplating taking a run at it again after having the year off.  Have the durability of the RGB nodes improved over the past few years?  After having sealed LEDs that are near bullet proof I was spoiled.  I would like to do more but I can't stand fixing stuff outdoors in the midwest winters.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: RGB Pixel node durability?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »
The most "durable" pixels I've used so far are the "square" pixels. Their waterproofing seems to be the most consistent and effective.

Next would be 12mm bullets, but they do vary from vendor to vendor. The amount and quality of epoxy resin fill can vary.

Both types are relatively easy to replace, though, unless they are 20ft up on a tree. :)

I also use many Pixabulbs/Brilliant bulbs. (C9 size faceted cover over a pair of 5050 LEDs). Not happy with moisture intrusion and failure rate with these. The plastic case is epoxy filled but still seems to trap moisture. The cover is a tight fit and has a gasket but doesn't seem very effective.
They look very nice, though. Don't put them where you can't fix them.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »
The most "durable" pixels I've used so far are the "square" pixels. Their waterproofing seems to be the most consistent and effective.

Next would be 12mm bullets, but they do vary from vendor to vendor. The amount and quality of epoxy resin fill can vary.

Both types are relatively easy to replace, though, unless they are 20ft up on a tree. :)

I also use many Pixabulbs/Brilliant bulbs. (C9 size faceted cover over a pair of 5050 LEDs). Not happy with moisture intrusion and failure rate with these. The plastic case is epoxy filled but still seems to trap moisture. The cover is a tight fit and has a gasket but doesn't seem very effective.
They look very nice, though. Don't put them where you can't fix them.

Interesting comparing your findings with mine  ;)     

I agree on the square pixels.  They seem to be the most reliable to me as well.  I don't recall ever replacing one during show season (after my own pre-season burn-in testing to eliminate the infant mortalities).

On the other hand, I've had very good results with the Pixabulbs (100% from DIYLEDexpress, none from HC or Ray)  I have had a few water intrusion failures with them, but overall I see much fewer Pixabulb failures than the bullets (from various vendors)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 12:05:29 PM by pixelpuppy »
-Mark

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
I do not have any square pixels so can not comment on them. Two years with pixabulbs with no issues. Very limited issues with 12mm pixels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 05:30:25 PM »
My Pixabulbs that are "flat" or near flat on my roof are more reliable that the ones on my Mega-tree (20 strings of 50 @ 4"). I think that water, running down the wires, is more intrusive. I'm seriously considering a switch to a square pixel based tree. It's just money, right?

Offline jchuchla

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 06:01:20 PM »
My Pixabulbs that are "flat" or near flat on my roof are more reliable that the ones on my Mega-tree (20 strings of 50 @ 4"). I think that water, running down the wires, is more intrusive. I'm seriously considering a switch to a square pixel based tree. It's just money, right?
Ive got similar results. Squares are the best, bullets a close second and pixabulbs in last place. I have a high failure rate on pixabulbs that are mounted just above the ground that are pointed straight upward. Pixabulbs in all other orientations seem to fare far better. Including those on my rooftop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk