Author Topic: Wearable Pixels using ESPixel Stick, what have you done?  (Read 817 times)

Offline stanward

• Kudos: 0
Wearable Pixels using ESPixel Stick, what have you done?
« on: January 02, 2019, 01:36:38 AM »
I am trying to get ideas on creating wearable hat/vest/etc. for me and my traffic control crew utilizing the ESPixel Sticks.  How have you mounted our pixels?  What have you mounted your pixels on?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Wearable Pixels using ESPixel Stick, what have you done?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
I don't have any ESPixel sticks but have run both Hats and Shirts from RasPi Zero and from a SP105e bluetooth controller.

What will you be displaying? That may influence the comments and help you get.

A few years ago, I was directing traffic with a Pixel Shirt.  I had a sequence running on the RasPi (FPP/fseq) that cycled the lights "from my chest out to my hands" so that I could just hold out the desired arm to point traffic to the correct parking area.

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
You can checkout Adafruit's wearable pixels. Just use your favorite search engine and search for adafruit.

Offline psbuster

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 12:08:41 AM »
The "elves" in our show wear lights driven by ESPixelSticks.   Their design was based on hockey shoulder pads so I tend to refer to them as armor.  They use 5v square pixel nodes zip tied to coro.  The coro is held together with large width velcro that acts like a harness.  The velcro harness allows for growth knowing my kids would be growing over the years.  This is our 4th year using these.  They were originally setup with komby but we moved to the pixelsticks.

Offline psbuster

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:13:44 AM »
Here is a pic... not the best:

I hope this shows up... I'm not seeing it in my preview.

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 81
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »

Not ESPPixelSticks, but my son's halloween costume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjwrKBJyJNI&list=PLp0tT9RTWyGZZ7Y-kAyLOw6BFFwDjtxrQ&index=4&t=6s

This is using a Komby RF1.  I have a Pi (remote mode) that sends out the Komby data that the RF1 receives and outputs pixel data.   It's a custom RF1 firmware that when it doesn't detect a packet in 2 seconds, it goes into a pattern.  Thus, if he trick or treats out of range, it displays something.   
Dan Kulp

Offline stanward

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 02:35:02 AM »
Thank you everyone for replying.  I think I will start off small and do Santa Hats for now.

I was hoping to use a few pixels that will flash similar colors to what is going on in my display.  My entire display is using Unicast, and am worried if I decide to turn off my Santa Hat, it may cause my show to lag?

I really like all of your suggestions, thank you!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 07:06:24 AM »
  My entire display is using Unicast, and am worried if I decide to turn off my Santa Hat, it may cause my show to lag?

If you are up to date with FPP (i.e., v2.5.x  ) then any FPP sending output to an IP address checks for connectivity. If not answering, it gets dropped from the output. It does check periodically for it to re-appear and will then begin sending again.

V1.08 and V1.10 do not do this and can introduce the lag you describe.

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 81
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 07:20:49 AM »
If you are up to date with FPP (i.e., v2.5.x  ) then any FPP sending output to an IP address checks for connectivity. If not answering, it gets dropped from the output. It does check periodically for it to re-appear and will then begin sending again.

There is an issue with this that I hope to result sometime early this year.  Basically, the ESPixelSticks get up to a state where they are pingable fairly quick, but there is then a longer delay before they actually start accepting e1.31 data.   Thus, what happens is FPP detects it come up and starts sending data, but the data gets backed up which causes it to try and ping everything again to figure out why, everything pings fine, try sending data, backup, etc....      The same issue can happen if FPP instances come up or really any controller.

I need to make sure "offline" controllers get two or three successful pings in a row (so up for at least 30 seconds or so) before enabling them.

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 12:10:29 PM »
Just curious, why ESPixelStick?  I use Raspberry Pi Zero Ws for all my portables/wearables.  RPiZW is only $5.  Now that being said I use 5v pixels so I can drive Pi and pixels from same battery source.  If you run 12v, then I totally get the ESPixelStick but there are additional challenges with it.  Just a thought.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline stanward

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 09:24:01 PM »
Thank you for everyone's replies and comments, all responses are so valuable.

I never knew the Raspberry Pi Zero was that cheap.  I honestly thought the ESPixel Stick was the cheapest solution out there.  I do plan on purchasing 5V pixels.  Looks like I made a mistake.

I am happy to hear that the latest version of FPP can accommodate what I need, I didn't realize there were so many developments in the past year!  Thank you again everyone.  I don't know how many pixels I can fasten onto a Santa Hat, but that will be my first project before I dive into doing a vest.

I have custom made neon-green or neon-orange traffic control shirts made for our group of people who do this particular task.  I was hoping to still be able to reuse these shirts, as the reason why I chose the vest or the hat.

Offline stanward

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 08:06:23 PM »
Anyone care to tell me what size power bank (rechargeable cell phone power bank) that you guys used and number of pixels being driven; if you can share total run times in hours?

I purchased various sizes of enclosures for my ESPixnode/Pixel Stick and want to have the power bank located inside the enclosure too. 

Want to have the micro USB port exposed on the bottom of the case for recharging purposes.

I plan to run 50 pixels at 30% brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stanward

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 12:33:53 AM »

There is an issue with this that I hope to result sometime early this year.  Basically, the ESPixelSticks get up to a state where they are pingable fairly quick, but there is then a longer delay before they actually start accepting e1.31 data.   Thus, what happens is FPP detects it come up and starts sending data, but the data gets backed up which causes it to try and ping everything again to figure out why, everything pings fine, try sending data, backup, etc....      The same issue can happen if FPP instances come up or really any controller.

I need to make sure "offline" controllers get two or three successful pings in a row (so up for at least 30 seconds or so) before enabling them.

Hi Dan,

I re-read all of what was said and hope having the Pixelsticks turn on for a while will not hamper the entire show.

There may be times that we will use the Pixelsticks for a short period of time, say half hour at a time.  Then we may use them later in the night again.

Thank you for all that you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline critic2

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 07:04:50 AM »
I don't have any ESPixel sticks but have run both Hats and Shirts from RasPi Zero and from a SP105e bluetooth controller.

Can you elaborate on this setup? Were you using the Bluetooth on a Pi Zero W to trigger the SP105e controller or GPIO pins or just separate setups?
Such as the RasPi Zero doing one thing and the SP105e doing something different?
Chuck P
Still Learning...💡

Online Trioxide

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »

A few years ago, I was directing traffic with a Pixel Shirt.  I had a sequence running on the RasPi (FPP/fseq) that cycled the lights "from my chest out to my hands" so that I could just hold out the desired arm to point traffic to the correct parking area.

I would like to do that also so would love to see pics of your pixel shirt and more details on how you made it.