Author Topic: Very basic question  (Read 416 times)

Offline PittFan

• Kudos: 0
Very basic question
« on: January 12, 2019, 12:47:33 PM »
I am currently running my show using Pixelnet and DMX, from a combination of Falcon (FPD, F16) and original DIY pixelnet hubs. All from a pi player (yhere is a matrix run by a beagle in slave mode too)

I am looking at expanding and the f16v3 is where I want to go.

My question is:  will I be able to continue to run all my current props using my existing FPD and pixelnet controlers with the F16V3? 
I figure the answer is yes. But just checking before I  plunge in.

A follow up question is:
To use the F16V3, I assume all I do is configure for channels I need and place on my network (plugged into my network switch the pi and beagle players are on)?
Would it be in slave mode?

Thanks!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Very basic question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:08 PM »
I was able to retire my FPD by using the F16v2 (or the v3) because it will output perfect Pixelnet and DMX.

Plus it will also control pixels.

Offline PittFan

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »
Johnb, thank you for your input.

I have looked at the manual now after your comment about getting rid of the ETD.  This caused me to have more questions.

The ETD, had the ability to use 8 universes of pixelnet data with the 3 rj45 jacks.  How is this obtained from the F16V3?  If I read the manual correctly, I see a max of 6 universes.  The first jack has 1-4, the second another and the third the last one.  Is my understanding correct?

My setup has 325 DMX (I know, a bit behind!) channels in universe 1 and  pixelnet data over universes 1-7.  Where would I get the 7th and 8th universes off the F16v3?  It must exist, I just dont see it.

Thanks.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »

The ETD, had the ability to use 8 universes of pixelnet data with the 3 rj45 jacks.  How is this obtained from the F16V3?  If I read the manual correctly, I see a max of 6 universes.  The first jack has 1-4, the second another and the third the last one.  Is my understanding correct?

My setup has 325 DMX (I know, a bit behind!) channels in universe 1 and  pixelnet data over universes 1-7.  Where would I get the 7th and 8th universes off the F16v3?  It must exist, I just dont see it.

The F16v3 (or F4v3 or F48) will only do "half" of the Pixelnet that the Falcon FPD could do. :( i.e., it will do 4 universes of Pixelnet, not 8 )
Your first line says "ETD"  If you meant that to be an actual DLA Etherdongle, it will also only do 4 universes. The FPD sort of led the Pixelnet race.

Offline PittFan

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
My terminology is bad.  I still use ETD when I meant FPD.  Just a habit.  Im using the falcon FPD.
So since I use more than 4 pixelnet universes, Im still gonna use my FPD.  Or just get rid of 2 universes and convert them over to F16v3!  I would have less hardware on the field and wouldnt need all those SSCs.

Thanks

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 05:56:20 AM »
Or just get rid of 2 universes and convert them over to F16v3!  I would have less hardware on the field and wouldnt need all those SSCs.

Thanks

It took 4 years to wean myself off of Pixelnet. I only used SSCs for two years. They worked but were annoying to program, even with the improvements Dave Pitts made to their firmware. By 2017 I was down to a single F16v1 board driving a matrix.
This year (2018) I sold my two remaining F16v1 boards (at one time, I had six) to a nearby user, so No More Pixelnet. He got a deal and I ran that matrix from an F16v3. (I seriously considered driving the v1 Pixelnet board from the v3 and realized that was a silly thing)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »
I quit using my F16v1 and an F8 this last season.  Still got an active hub and 8 SSCs but just need to make new cables to quit using them.  And they are long cables, sigh.  I've left those lights up so I could make the cables and test things before I put those away (4 window frames and 4 gutters).
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5