Author Topic: Building new home  (Read 852 times)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Building new home
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »
Stormy, you got ripped.  When my driveway had to be repaved I dug the trench myself for the pipe and I paid for the pipe out of pocket.  I doubt I put out more than $30 or $40 at the time, plus some sore muscles that I was not used to using.  Funny thing is I have never used that pipe, YET.  Maybe if we put in a sprinkler system some year, but I use all wireless for my show and never needed to pull a cable to the other side of the driveway.  However, I would put that pipe in again in a heartbeat.  You never know.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 02:32:11 AM »
Stormy, you got ripped.  When my driveway had to be repaved I dug the trench myself for the pipe and I paid for the pipe out of pocket.  I doubt I put out more than $30 or $40 at the time, plus some sore muscles that I was not used to using.  Funny thing is I have never used that pipe, YET.  Maybe if we put in a sprinkler system some year, but I use all wireless for my show and never needed to pull a cable to the other side of the driveway.  However, I would put that pipe in again in a heartbeat.  You never know.

3 cars wide, new home being built...there's no way I was going to tear apart a brand new driveway and install a pipe myself for possibly $40 worth of pipe.  I may have been ripped off, but I definitely feel it was worth the $600 added to the cost of the home to have pros do it for me.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 09:03:54 AM »
Stormy, if your driveway was already poured then I understand the $ amount.  In my case it was in the process of being redone and I just had to trench in dirt after the concrete had been removed.  I love it when these good ideas work out.  I wish I knew a lot more when I was younger, could have saved me a lot of grief.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
$50 in pipe and fittings seems reasonable.  $550 in time and expertise, along with the cement to replace is also within "normal" expenses, and reasonable in my view. 

Try getting a quote to horizontal drill under that driveway.  Not a pretty picture.  :|
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline esolo

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Wow! I absolutely appreciate and will use all the advice you have given. I never imagined that I would learn so much and my eyes are open to so many new ideas. This community is so awesome! I came in asking about ideas for lights and I got so much more. Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail! Happy New Year!