Author Topic: 2019 Layout Questions  (Read 302 times)

Offline DanHouston

• Kudos: 0
2019 Layout Questions
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:51:04 PM »
Doing some significant changes for this coming year, and as part of that plan to have pixels on the eaves, window frames, some columns, new stars and snowflakes.

I've attached a layout from xlights. The items you see in the yard I have controllers to run them (Lynx gear), but the stuff I am putting on the house I do not have controllers for yet, and would like to use the falcon gear. With that in mind, unsure which way I should go (and why).

A couple of additional notes....
1. The eaves I am planning to mount and leave up year round. Would be nice to have those connected to run year round too. :)
2. As the Lynx gear fails (if it ever does) I will replace with Falcon gear, so keeping that in mind as you suggest which controllers and where to put them would be great!

I'm reading a lot about the falcon controllers, but still not sure I understand it all. I think I could run it all with a single F16V3, but am wondering if it would make more sense to zone it up with several F4V3 controllers.

Online k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
Re: 2019 Layout Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:07:41 PM »
1. The eaves I am planning to mount and leave up year round. Would be nice to have those connected to run year round too. :)
Highly recommended.  I have been running computer controlled landscape lighting since 2011.  Except for a couple channels, everything is RGB.  In fact I'm fairly unusual in that I originally got into computerized lighting to run landscape lighting and had NO plans to run a Christmas show - well, that changed :)
It is very nice to be able to change the yard color both routinely and for the minor holidays.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »
What kind of distance can I reasonably expect from controller to first node? I thought I read somewhere 20 feet or so? That hold true for between nodes as well when connecting different elements?

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:22:12 PM »
Highly recommended.  I have been running computer controlled landscape lighting since 2011.  Except for a couple channels, everything is RGB.  In fact I'm fairly unusual in that I originally got into computerized lighting to run landscape lighting and had NO plans to run a Christmas show - well, that changed :)
It is very nice to be able to change the yard color both routinely and for the minor holidays.

Any recommendations? Right now I am leaning towards attaching J-channel to the house with the nodes mounted inside.

Online k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 04:40:57 PM »
Start by reading this page: 
http://www.newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html

More when I get to a computer...

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »

I am planning on the same thing. No reason to only souse my lights during one holiday/year.

Any recommendations? Right now I am leaning towards attaching J-channel to the house with the nodes mounted inside.
Just getting started but I think this will become a huge hobby!!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
What kind of distance can I reasonably expect from controller to first node? I thought I read somewhere 20 feet or so? That hold true for between nodes as well when connecting different elements?

Approx 25'. (20' should be fine) Maybe more maybe less. But usually don't plan on more than 25'. You'll have to experiment to see what your setup will allow if you're pushing the 25' mark.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 13
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:16:47 AM »
Distance to first node from a Falcon controller depends on wire you use.  You can get 60 feet if you use cat6.  (Edited - I corrected my 60" which is inches to clearly say feet)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:12:17 PM by mararunr »
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Online k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
Distance to first node from a Falcon controller depends on wire you use.  You can get 60'' if you use cat6.
I assume Cat-6 for the data and either something else for power or power injection if more than a few pixels.  Even using three wires each of a Cat-5 or 6 for power and ground is really small amount of wire - especially over that distance..

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 116
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 08:46:23 AM »
Has anyone tried using Coax cable for a Data run? It is shielded so should be good. The shield mesh could be used to connect the grounds between controller and the power supply connected to the first pixel. You can sometimes find reels of discarded Coax. I doubt that the Impedance differences between the different RG numbers would make much difference for this.

edit - a quick search found this old post - claiming 300ft (not just 20 or 30 or 60)

https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3817.0.html

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 08:21:10 PM »
Taking my first crack at actually putting a controller in here. Nothing is more than 100 pixels (12v), and distances should be all under 20'.

Thinking this would be for the permanently mounted pixels. Still need to plan out the window frames, columns, vertical outline on house, stars and snowflakes.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
Hey Dan have you made any attempts in your permanent setup? I was planning on using something like this:
Channel

and
Cover

I think it would make for a easy setup. Using the Boscoyo strips as a template for drilling holes in the inside of the above mentioned covers. Then stick your pixels through and attach the cover to the channel which is mounted to your eaves. The channel itself will hide all the wiring and gives you plenty of room inside for power injection connection. This is just an idea that I am going to be playing with. And I think even though black may stick out more during the day, it wont reflect the pixel lights at night.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
Hey Dan have you made any attempts in your permanent setup? I was planning on using something like this:
Channel

and
Cover

I think it would make for a easy setup. Using the Boscoyo strips as a template for drilling holes in the inside of the above mentioned covers. Then stick your pixels through and attach the cover to the channel which is mounted to your eaves. The channel itself will hide all the wiring and gives you plenty of room inside for power injection connection. This is just an idea that I am going to be playing with. And I think even though black may stick out more during the day, it wont reflect the pixel lights at night.

The concern would be if this is UV stable. I would find out if it will hold up to UV... being permanent.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 05:58:01 PM »
Great point Todd. Although I intend to use some type of quick disconnect to attach them to my eaves, Dan wants those high roof lines up permanently (which I totally understand). This way I can put them all up within a couple hours just snapping them into place and taking them down when not in use. But if I could find some that ARE UV protected that would be even better still.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »
Channel

and
Cover

The concern would be if this is UV stable. I would find out if it will hold up to UV... being permanent.

Was thinking of using the J-Channel approach I've seen in a few threads so far. Found a few folks who have done that permanently....This looks like good stuff too, and in my case may end up being pretty well protected from the sun.