Author Topic: PI Cap setup  (Read 489 times)

Offline MarkPiZero

• Kudos: 0
PI Cap setup
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:01:19 PM »
 I am a newbie and this is my first attempt in controlling addressable LEDs.  I have two virtually identical setups consisting of: Pi Zero WH, PiCap, and FPP 2.5.3 OS. One set up is using 12 VDC WS2811 with 49 pixels and the other 12 VDC WS2813 with 150 pixels. I can network to both and upload a simple 30 second sequence from xLights for testing purposes.  Both setup have failed to pass my expectations in the Display Testing in either the General Channel or Sequence sections.  The channel output is set as WS281x in the Pi Pixel Strings.  When testing the pixels may turn on or off and change colors but there are absolutely no patterns or chases going on.  The WS2813 strip has a built in pattern generator any the strip runs patterns when idle. The WS2811 string was verified with another inexpensive controller and they appear to work ok. What am I doing wrong? Thank in advance for any guidance.

Mark

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
Re: PI Cap setup
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 11:15:18 PM »
So....are the LEDs responding in Display Testing within FPP?  Its a bit hard to follow what youre saying (versus expecting)

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
PI Cap setup
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:17:37 PM »
And what do you mean by WS2813 has a built-in pattern?

Strips dont have anything like that built in. Are you referring to an external controller?

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:08:58 AM »
If the start channel used to create the sequence and set up in FPP, then when you run your playlist with the sequence, it should.  The fact that display testing is working is a good sign.  it's probably a setup mismatch between how you created your sequence and how you have pixels (strip) setup in FPP.  I think you are also saying you ran same sequence on a different controller with these pixels so double check between that controller's setup and your pi zero setup.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline MarkPiZero

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
 These are LED strips I purchased from Amazon. From the product description " Can be controlled by Arduino, Fast LED library, Raspberry Pi, Fadecandy, T1000S, SP105E,SP108E etc. 15 color modes are built in the lights. Even if no data/signal input, just connected to power, it will auto run."  Here is the product link from my purchase history,  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D48WVF4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 Just applying  12 vdc the strip will auto run generating colors and chasing sequences. The other selling point of these LED strip is that they have a 4 wire for Backupdata which is suppose to continue transmitting data incase of a LED failure data will continue down the strip to the remaining LEDs. I will attempt to attach a data spec sheet I requested from the seller.

Thanks for your feed backMark

Offline mararunr

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
These are LED strips I purchased from Amazon. From the product description " Can be controlled by Arduino, Fast LED library, Raspberry Pi, Fadecandy, T1000S, SP105E,SP108E etc. 15 color modes are built in the lights. Even if no data/signal input, just connected to power, it will auto run."  Here is the product link from my purchase history,  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D48WVF4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 Just applying  12 vdc the strip will auto run generating colors and chasing sequences. The other selling point of these LED strip is that they have a 4 wire for Backupdata which is suppose to continue transmitting data incase of a LED failure data will continue down the strip to the remaining LEDs. I will attempt to attach a data spec sheet I requested from the seller.

Thanks for your feed backMark

Thank you for the link.  Are you trying to 1) use the 15 color modes OR 2) run a sequence created in FPP.  For 1) you need to hook up the controller providing with the lights - you can see there is power supply and special controller in the last picture/diagram of the product description on amazon.  For 2) do not use the special controller, but rather hook your lights up to the picap and make sure you have same start channels in FPP and xLights.  Also, Raspberry Pi is 5v and your lights are 12v - maybe you recognize this already.  Hope this helps.

Offline MarkPiZero

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »
 Thanks for your response. First of all the supplied controller is not connected at all. The strip is connected to the PiCap and trying to test it with a test sequence via FPP.  Second, the 15 mode feature is built into the strip of LED and should only run when data is not present. Even though I dont have that controller you saw in the last picture, I have another one of those economical RF controllers from Amazon and I can control this strip of WS2813 LED. As soon as I turn on this economical RF controller the 15 mode feature built into the strip turns off and the strip is under the control of the economical RF controllers. The WS2813 strip works as advertised.  I assumed the strip should work the same on the PiCap/Pi Zero assembly.
On the PiCap/Pi Zero assembly the PiCap has been jumpered to work with 12 VDC strings and the Pi Cap jump for Pi has been remove to not supply power to the Pi Zero.  I have a separate 3A  DC-DC  buck converter to supply the Pi Zero. I can access and upload fseq files from xLights to FPP.  Does this sound correct?
The WS2813 strip on workbench has 150 LEDs/Nodes. I have started with channel 1 and ended with channel 450 in the setups of in FPP and in xLights. I expect I have really missed something in FFP and xlights since I am basically just starting out. On the xLights Facebook page they have mentioned about an online seminar xLights for beginners via Zoom.
Thanks for your input and I welcome anymore your may have,
Mark

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
So....are the LEDs responding in Display Testing within FPP?  Its a bit hard to follow what youre saying (versus expecting)

Asking again

Offline mararunr

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »
I assumed the strip should work the same on the PiCap/Pi Zero assembly.

Hi Mark,
1) as requested in other comment from Bwinter, go to Status drop down then down to Display testing and click on box next to Enable testing - do the lights light up.
2) change the status of FPP to bridge and see if you control the lights from xlights
3) change the status of FPP back to stand alone and tell me how are you starting the sequence in FPP?  Are you selecting the playlist and hitting play or trying to run sequence it through the display testing tab or is the playlist set up on a schedule or ???

It may be that the "built in modes" is interfering with your set up.  We don't normally buy strip with built in modes to use in our hobby. 

I also find it interesting that when you hook it up to the PiCap, the 15 modes stops.  You state that when power is applied, the strip will run the 15 modes if no data is present.  FPP does not send out data all the time so the 15 modes should run until FPP starts sending data.

Offline MarkPiZero

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »
When I try to Display Test under the Channel Test tab, the LED in the string will freeze in their "auto run feature", then some of the LEDs, not all, will flicker different colors. When I try to run a 30 second sequence under the Sequence tab they will do the same as described above. The sequence I tried to created in xLights should have only displayed red and green but failed. I will assume I am doing something wrong.
In summary, yes the LEDs halted their auto run feature indicating that Data was present but did not turn the LED string red and green for 30 seconds as I hoped for in the sequence I tried to create in xLights.Thank you for your response, Mark

Offline MarkPiZero

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »
I will try the bridge mode later today, I was trying to play the sequence through the Display testing under the Sequence tab.I will get on my homework tonight.Thanks for everybody's input, gotta go wife summoning me, Mark

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 08:26:57 AM »
The LEDs arent working properly under the basic display testing, although they are somewhat responding (as indicated by disrupting the built-in pattern).  This tells me youve connected properly.

I would suspect that these strips (that have built-in patterns) arent going to be compatible with what we do.  If you read the question/answers on the Amazon site, someone asked if these strips work with xyz-controller.  The manufacturer simply said try them (suspicious response).

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:42 AM »
That is an interesting product.  I like that its 12v native to the chip (internal resistor/regulator apparently) and I like the Backup Dataline.  I don't like that it has a built-in 'auto-run' feature.  That could be nice for some dedicated installations, but not preferred for synchronized holiday displays.

1st thing I would do is make sure to enable the setting in FPP called "Always transmit channel data".  That *should* help keep the strips from going into 'auto run' pattern mode.
-Mark

Offline Bwinter

• First Show 2016
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:14:59 AM »
Also, it appears that these LEDs have the 4th back-up wire.  Youre not connecting this to the CLOCK input in the PiHat, are you?  You should only have 3 connections to the Pi:  12v, GND, and Data

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »
The wiring diagram on the amazon web page shows the backup input connected to ground, did you try doing that?
-
Chris