Author Topic: P6 32x16 panel in a toy  (Read 1946 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
P6 32x16 panel in a toy
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:21:53 PM »
After Christmas 2017, I happened to be on the Walmart clearance aisle after Christmas and saw a bunch of something called "Smart Pixel Purse" by Project MC2 (squared).  I picked up a couple assuming I could either take them apart and either reverse engineer the LED panel or just give one to my youngest daughter as a toy.

I finally got around to taking one apart the other day and was a bit surprised to find that the panel inside is just a P6 panel with a regular HUB75 interface on it.  The board inside the purse can be programmed via bluetooth to display images that you create via an app on your phone.  It also has an audio input, so it looks like it may respond to music, but I haven't played with that part yet.

The P6 panel doesn't have a frame around it, it is just the bare board, but the plastic purse case does have a small diffuser which protects the LED's.  The diffuser is not attached to the purse frame and can be easily removed.

I haven't hooked a panel up to FPP yet, but did check the pinout on the HUB75 input connector and it looks good.  There is no output connector, so one would have to be soldered on if you wanted to try to use these boards together for a project.

The main reason I mention these is that I noticed you can get these purses for under $10 on eBay including shipping.  At that price, some might want one to play with with a Pi Zero or something.  I ordered a few more myself today.
-
Chris

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
Re: P6 32x16 panel in a toy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
Thank you Cap'n.  Going to order a few myself.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
I need to think of a use, but may decide to make a modified version of my Pi HUB75 'backpack' board to use the newer wiring pinout.  :)

I'm imagining how one or two of these panels would fit in a picture frame with a Pi Zero W stuck to the back of one of the panels.

Offline mararunr

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »
I ordered 5 (4 for me and 1 for my daughter) so I'm more than willing to be a second tester or whatever you need.  Also willing to pitch in money for the backpack board (since I don't have any  ;) ).

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:35:24 AM »
I ordered 5 (4 for me and 1 for my daughter) so I'm more than willing to be a second tester or whatever you need.  Also willing to pitch in money for the backpack board (since I don't have any  ;) ).
Ditto.  I also snagged a few of the panels and would be in for some backpack boards too  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:39:43 AM by pixelpuppy »
-Mark

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »

Ditto. Also willing to pitch in money for the backpack board (since I don't have any  ;) )
Jerry Plak

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
Wow - the four "purses" I ordered on Ebay arrived today. I'm not impressed with them as a "purse" to give to a young child, but I'll be stripping out the P6 panels soon. I would also be interested in a backpack board. It would definitely have the smallest footprint.

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 11:41:45 AM »
Wow - the four "purses" I ordered on Ebay arrived today. I'm not impressed with them as a "purse" to give to a young child, but I'll be stripping out the P6 panels soon. I would also be interested in a backpack board. It would definitely have the smallest footprint.
Wow thats fast!   I ordered mine from Amazon thinking it would be faster than eBay, but I'm still waiting...any day now  ::)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:46:54 AM »
Oddly enough, I ordered from ebay but they arrived today in Amazon boxes. Go figure. The ebay seller would only sell 2 per order. I had to order twice.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »
I did get a chance to hook one of the panels up to FPP on a Pi and it did work as expected.  I will take a look at updating the backpack PCB file for the newer pinout and get together a parts list and see how much each 'kit' would cost. I would probably include a SMD male header to attach to the output on the P6 also.  That should be easy enough to solder on by hand since the pins stick out to the side of the header.

Offline mararunr

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »
I couldn't find the $10 price on Amazon so stuck with eBay but I bought from 2 different vendors off eBay.  3 arrive Saturday (12th) and 2 arrive Monday (14th).  Jon must live next to an Amazon distribution center to get them that fast (and the seller must be double posting on Amazon and eBay)....my daughter is only 8 so just having something that is like our light display that she can change up with her phone will make her happy.  And thanks Cap'n for your helps as always!

Offline critic2

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 06:15:28 AM »
I managed to find these on Amazon  for $8.24 each. Free shipping with prime and surprisingly I had a $14 credit on my account do to guaranteed deliveries not arriving on time.
Amazon only allowed a maximum of three on my order.
Having two granddaughters, (ages 6 and 5) it will be fun incorporating these into a show.

Chuck P
Still Learning...💡

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 07:41:06 AM »
The 3 that I ordered off eBay from a single seller were delivered by Amazon yesterday with a gift receipt in the box.

Offline mikejk67

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
Ordered 3 on Jan 9th from a seller on ebay. Arrived this morning (Jan 10th) before 10am by an Amazon truck. Not much of a purse, for sure, but my grand daughter might like playing around. Hope the ios app has better reviews than the android as she uses an iphone. I bought two for myself to play with. Looking forward to buying a board from Capt. Murdoch.

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 01:38:26 PM »
YAY!  My Pink Purses are here!    (oooops .... did I say that out loud?)     ;D ;D ;D

No photo description available.