Author Topic: P6 32x16 panel in a toy  (Read 2109 times)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
Re: P6 32x16 panel in a toy
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 08:55:43 AM »
Big Clive just posted a youTube video on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLCwa2mneY
-Mark

Offline mikejk67

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:40 AM »
Anyone got one of these "purse" panels working yet? Besides the Captain of course. I have two of them and propose to make a 32x32 matrix within a picture frame kinda thingy.  I'm going to use a Pocket Scroller from Dan Kulp to drive them and mount in the lid of my electric RC airplane and helicopter charging case. Looking for ideas on making a frame, source of ribbon cables and power cables, and such.
Let's see what you have done.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
PocketScroller should arrive soon. 4 panels to connect.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
I connected mine to a PiZero with a NanoMatrixHat works fine.  FPP is configured the same as P10.   I just haven't figured out how I want to mount them yet  :-\

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 11:03:27 AM »
yes, i got it to work with the standard P10 configuration 32x16. Wish it had a HUB 75 output connector on it - but I understand why. Anyone able to solder one on to the output and chain them together?
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline mikejk67

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »
My "Pink Purse" is almost complete. Using one of Dan Kulp's Pocket Scrollers in the case (needs to be painted a more sedate color). Wanted to post a video, but I need to process it a bit first.

Offline mikejk67

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
Hopefully here is a quick video of the "Purse" project. I use Piskel to design the graphics and gifs used in xlights and FPP. The outter frame will be painted to "blend" a little better with my Electric RC Airplane and Helicopter charging station. Thanks to all that helped me in this project.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
I did get a chance to hook one of the panels up to FPP on a Pi and it did work as expected.  I will take a look at updating the backpack PCB file for the newer pinout and get together a parts list and see how much each 'kit' would cost. I would probably include a SMD male header to attach to the output on the P6 also.  That should be easy enough to solder on by hand since the pins stick out to the side of the header.

Did this fizzle out?    I've been running these off a Pi Matrix hat just to play and experiment.   But I'd love the smaller footprint of the Zero + your Backpack board for a more permanent installation.  Also would like the SMD header to chain some panels together.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 06:13:09 PM »

Did this fizzle out?    I've been running these off a Pi Matrix hat just to play and experiment.   But I'd love the smaller footprint of the Zero + your Backpack board for a more permanent installation.  Also would like the SMD header to chain some panels together.

I was a little slow in laying out the board and just got the boards back the mail yesterday.  I also had to return the power connectors I picked up off eBay because they didnt match the ad.  I didnt order any SMD headers yet.

I hope to solder up one of the boards tonight as a test and could then share out the Gerbers and Oshpark link.  If a bunch of people want them I could try to panelize the board and order a larger batch from China. 
-
Chris

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 07:00:10 AM »

I was a little slow in laying out the board and just got the boards back the mail yesterday.  I also had to return the power connectors I picked up off eBay because they didnt match the ad.  I didnt order any SMD headers yet.

I hope to solder up one of the boards tonight as a test and could then share out the Gerbers and Oshpark link.  If a bunch of people want them I could try to panelize the board and order a larger batch from China.

Chris, add me to the interest list on theses board.

JerryPlak
Jerry Plak

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
The sample board tested good.  I made a few more small tweaks last night and was able to panelize 7 of them on a 10x10cm board.  That means that I could get 35 of them in a 5-board run from somewhere like Seeedstudio.  Pricing out the other parts for those 35 boards, envelopes, and continental U.S. First Class USPS shipping would put the total shipped cost at around $5.50 each with a little wiggle room.

That would include the following:
- Pi HUB75 Backpack v2.0 PCB (uses the newer 'standard' pinout in the library used by FPP)
- 2x20 female header for connecting to Pi (so it needs a Zero, A+, B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+)
- 2x8 tall female header for connecting to LED panel (tall so the Pi will clear the components on the back of the LED panel).
- 2-pin 5.08mm phoenix connector for 5V power input to power the Pi (installation optional)
- 2x8 NON-shrouded SMD header for the HUB75 output on the purse panels (NOTE: this part is only $0.11 each so doesn't affect the price that much)

I don't know if there would be interest for 35 of these boards, so I don't know if it is worth it to do this, but am willing to do it if there is interest.   I ordered 3 boards from Oshpark for $7.00 and already had the header connectors.

Attached are some pictures of the board including a Pi Zero installed on the back of one of the Pixel Purse panels.  I haven't received the power connectors I ordered from eBay yet, so I didn't install one of those for the test.  The 2x headers attach to the bottom of the board and the power connector to the top.  NOTE, in my pictures, I used a regular 2x8 female header for attaching to the back of the LED panel, so there was very little clearance so I put a piece of paper in between the Pi and LED panel for insullation.  When using the tall 2x8 female header, there would be more clearance between the Pi and LED panel, but installation of an insulating barrier would still be recommended.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 03:57:10 PM »
Just curious, does it really need a 2x20 header?   I don't know all the pins that are needed and what the minimum span is (2x13?)

Either way, I am definitely interested!   I know I could use 3 right away, and probably a few more if needed to help get closer to the minimum order of 35,

Also I want to point out to anybody else reading this and you're thinking "that looks cool but I don't have any pink purse panels.... THIS WILL WORK WITH P10/P5 TOO.
THIS IS NOT LIMITED TO PINK PURSE P6 PANELS.

I'll start off the count with 5 for me. Lets see if we can get enough for the 35 minimum..... I may even order more pink purses if these boards get made ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:05:37 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 04:11:51 PM »
Just curious, does it really need a 2x20 header?   I don't know all the pins that are needed and what the minimum span is (2x13?)

According to the pinout, https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/blob/master/wiring.md it should work with a 26-pin 2x13 header.  I just used the larger one to prevent people trying to use the original model A/B which were a bit slower.  I think using the 2x13 vs the 2x20 would only save $0.05-0.10 per board though when buying the connectors in bulk, so it doesn't affect things too much. Considering the eBay prices I found, the board is the largest cost, followed by the tall/stacking female 2x8 header, then the phoenix connector, then the 2x20 female header and lastly the 2x8 SMD male header.  Some parts were quantity 40 so the total cost was averaged out over the 35 boards.

Also, one additional note in case it wasn't obvious in my other post.  These would be kits and would require soldering, they are not preassembled boards.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:20:26 PM by CaptainMurdoch »

Offline mikejk67

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 05:26:11 PM »
Hey Captain, I'm in for at least three of them.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 10:32:12 PM »
3 for me also

Tony