Author Topic: 2018 Halloween + Christmas Shows powered with a Falcon PiCap running 1594 pixels  (Read 492 times)

Offline Bos Lights

• Kudos: 1
    • BosLights - Light Shows
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to share my 2018 Halloween + Christmas Shows powered with a Falcon PiCap.
Halloween:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGDq1Kx_ebc8_-JdeYqVekE5iRb6NH0Zs
Christmas:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGDq1Kx_ebc-z7RWJJ8ZoN6jF1sjmEXOr
Cheers!
Albert.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:28:21 AM by Bos Lights »

Offline bigwavedave

Re: 2018 Halloween + Christmas Shows powered with a Falcon PiCap.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »
Nicely done!

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
1 PiCap?
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Bos Lights

• BosLights - Light Shows
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »
Yes thats right running 1594 pixels of of one PiCap ;D

and still more room for more as they removed the soft limit some time ago last year. You can go over 1000 per output.   Note that longer strings will have a slower refresh rate.  You can run up to 40fps (25ms timing) if you have less than ~800 pixels per frame.  Using 20fps (50ms timing) lets you go up to ~1600 pixels per frame.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
Thanks for the information...
I am really gun shy when it comes to large numbers of pixels off of any single port of any controller. One bad pixel and whole sections of the display go down until fixed. 
With the number of pixel repairs that were required this year, I definitely can not do one long string.  Not saying anyone else should not, as it works for many.  Just not here.  :|

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
Thanks for the information...
I am really gun shy when it comes to large numbers of pixels off of any single port of any controller. One bad pixel and whole sections of the display go down until fixed. 
With the number of pixel repairs that were required this year, I definitely can not do one long string.  Not saying anyone else should not, as it works for many.  Just not here.  :|
I agree.   And am therefore really looking forward to the shift from 2811 to 2813/2815/2818 (the ones with the backup data line).  I will be much more likely to run longer strings with the backup data line.

I was really hoping we would see theses become more mainstream in 2019.  They are available now, but so far I'm disappointed they aren't showing up in any of the pre-sales. 
-Mark

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:56:42 AM »
Just an after thought.  Right now we know, for sure, that one of two pixels are "bad" because of the lack of signal or the wrong signals going to the remainder of the string behind it.  With the backed up versions, are we going to be able to find bad ones? 

For example, if it is the output of a pixel that is bad the pixel itself is lighting.  We may never know that this output is bad because the next pixel will be lit using the information in the backup line.  Not that it matters that much since the string is working, but it is something to ponder.