Author Topic: Sending data long distance  (Read 382 times)

Offline YouLiTTY

• Kudos: 0
Sending data long distance
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:13:20 AM »
Can someone help me with the proper soloution for the best location of my falcon controller and how to get my data lines to the strips with proper voltage
Im installing 20 segments consisting of 450 leds ( 9,000 LEDs total  )

In simple form, lights are going in channels that run along side of bowling lanes. There is 40 lanes total but only 20 channels for lights, so every second lane will have 450 LEDs in a series ( 20 lanes total ) . So I'm thinking the falcon should be centralized and the data lines should just Branch out like a tree? But I'm definitely going to have voltage drop. Falcon located at bowling lane 20, to the first strip on bowling lane 1. The distance between "falcon (lane 20)" and light "strip#1 (lane 1)"  is around 100 feet. Then from "falcon(lane 20)" to "strip#2 (lane 3)" is shorter. Then falcon to lane 5 is alot shorter .
Can someone helpe with the best procedure for this ? 

Offline allknowing2012

Re: Sending data long distance
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:38:38 AM »
No expert here but I would think multiple F-Amps plus a power chase down the line to inject into the strips at atleast 150 and 300 and 450. (assuming 12v).

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
The Falcon F48 would be a better solution because it would require fewer F-Amps.

A sketch would be A LOT BETTER than your description. (even if hand drawn and picture with phone)

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:24 AM »
OR.....

Get 10 PiZero's feeding two strips each.  You could even put a PiZero directly on the start of each of the 20 strips and not have any data runs between lanes
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:35:39 AM by pixelpuppy »
-Mark

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
OR.....

Get 10 PiZero's feeding two strips each.  You could even put a PiZero directly on the start of each of the 20 strips and not have any data runs between lanes

+1 for this idea - 10 PiZero Ws is $50

I do something similar in my home with our crown molding and kick plate lighting in our home.  Multiple Pi Zeroes, each one where the lights are.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline YouLiTTY

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »
OR.....

Ok so 1 per lane or I can pair them . Maybe you can helpe further on this procedure.
I have ordered these parts
F16V3 Pixel Controller - Ready to Run - Pigtail Type : xConnect (Falcon/HC), Voltage : 5V
And
F16v2/F16V3 Expansion Board with ribbon cable   
Should I be using these or something else .

Offline YouLiTTY

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:27:36 PM »
OR.....

I'm trying to post my digram but it won't let me . Pixelpuppy can you email me so I can send you diagram ? youlitty@gmail.com
Would be greatly appreciated.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 06:08:57 AM »
My suggestion was more for the Hobby/DIY perspective.  If this is a commercial/business application you would be better to go with the Falcon solution

Offline YouLiTTY

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 06:45:57 AM »
My suggestion was more for the Hobby/DIY perspective.  If this is a commercial/business application you would be better to go with the Falcon solution

Thanks again for your help . I'm sorry So many questions, still the newb. Lol
Yes it's a commercial business application.
Can you give me a better idea on the parts I need ?   And you say going with  F16V3 and expansion is the best way to do it ? Thats alot of wire 😥😥 and I'm using alot of wire for all the power injections for the strips as is ... .

Offline YouLiTTY

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 07:05:33 AM »

Anything to offer on my light wiring .
The series of lights is 50 feet long .  3 full rolls
I've made the lights into 4 small strips.
Using a 5v 80a supply.
Power to start of strip.
4 wire to the center of the first 2 strips.
And power to the end of strip 2.
Then using the same power supply I will power half of the next lanes lights, using the same method
Then the back half of both lanes will be powered the same way using a second 5v 80a supply.
The front power supplies will only power the first half of the 2 lanes to avoid bridging the power. And same with the back will only power the back half of the 2 lanes.