Author Topic: Pixel Brightness  (Read 333 times)

Offline Xmas!

• Kudos: 2
Re: Pixel Brightness
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:37 PM »
In your chart - were you doing each group with a single output?
 That's fine .. but it will influence how you power inject.

For example.. I would run sm Window from the controller, break the v+ and inject at the start (or middle) of sm pillars, then inject at the end of that or at the start of Vertical.
Looks like again at the end of Roof Line and at the end of wreath. (for example).

If you plan and build your props with the some pigtails for injection it leave you options as to add the PI if needed..

(I have these at various props -- https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Connector-1-5mm-Terminal/dp/B01A6LTK44 )

I fully plan on using pigtails at various locations. I am going to use Ray Wu's 3-2-3. Thanks for the link though. And yes I plan on having 4 outputs used for my house and 1 for my tree. Unless its better/smarter to do it differently.
My name is Steve and I'm just getting started. but I think this will become a huge hobby!!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 05:59:46 PM »
I ran my mega tree at 60% and my archs at 100% this year because I have a street light across the street. Without the street light, it was burned out last year, I ran at 40% on the tree and 80% on the arches. My arches are in HDPE tubing so they need to brighter to look good. But they fixed the damn light and it washed out some of the lights this year so I upped the settings.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »
Glad I could help! if you are going to have the F16 in the eaves, I would probably change things up a bit. I might use a few more ports. Like put the left portion of the roof line and the left Vertical on port 1 ~180 pixels at 50% maybe no injection. Then on port 2, the left window, columns and wreath ~350 pixels at 60% you will only need one power injection at the end of the string and it will be close to the controller. Then port 3 put the left Column and the entry door/windows ~320 pixels at 60% maybe only one injection at the end of the string. Port 4 could have the upper roof ~212 pixels might be able to get away without injection at 40% but I would suggest injecting at the end of the string. And then maybe a Differential Receiver at the corner of the garage and feed the rest with the 4 channels you have there (only $17 more). Just some ideas to think about. And you might want to plan on future expansion...like put pigtails and extensions at convenient access points.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:53 PM »
Glad I could help! if you are going to have the F16 in the eaves, I would probably change things up a bit. I might use a few more ports. Like put the left portion of the roof line and the left Vertical on port 1 ~180 pixels at 50% maybe no injection. Then on port 2, the left window, columns and wreath ~350 pixels at 60% you will only need one power injection at the end of the string and it will be close to the controller. Then port 3 put the left Column and the entry door/windows ~320 pixels at 60% maybe only one injection at the end of the string. Port 4 could have the upper roof ~212 pixels might be able to get away without injection at 40% but I would suggest injecting at the end of the string. And then maybe a Differential Receiver at the corner of the garage and feed the rest with the 4 channels you have there (only $17 more). Just some ideas to think about. And you might want to plan on future expansion...like put pigtails and extensions at convenient access points.

I do want to plan for expansion so tha'ts a good idea but the $17 for a diff rec is only for the rec. I would still need power, box, and cables. I think I can figure out how to use more ports on the F16 and minimize power injection while still putting pigtails in for future use.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »
I ran my mega tree at 60% and my archs at 100% this year because I have a street light across the street. Without the street light, it was burned out last year, I ran at 40% on the tree and 80% on the arches. My arches are in HDPE tubing so they need to brighter to look good. But they fixed the damn light and it washed out some of the lights this year so I upped the settings.

Todd, I have the same concern because the county is putting up new super bright LED street lights all over the place. They haven't hit our neighborhood yet but it's only a matter of time. The one currently by my house is very dim and gets partially hidden by a tree. If I were you I may sneak out late at night and "fix" the working light haha!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:52 PM »
In 2017 I ran my mega trees at 30% with 120 node strings (2 strands of 60) and it was really bright.  In 2018 I decided to add some power injection and run 240 node strings (4 strands of 60).  I found that I could run 240 nodes at 20% with no power injection during my testing.  Me thinks you need to start doing your own testing and quit putting so much stock in what other folks say.  When I put up my first pixel tree with and F16v2.  I was running everything at 100%.  As folks talked about brightness I changed 4 of my 16 strands down 10% at a time until I could clearly see which 4 strands where lower intensity.  Then I bumped the brightness back up and asked several folks to tell me which strands where at a lower brightness.  For most it was not until I got to 20% although a couple could tell at 30%.  I suggest you do your own testing.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 08:37:53 PM »
btw, with an F16v2/3 you can change the brightness while a sequence is running.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »
I totally agree with Jim about doing your own testing! My suggestions were to just get you in the ballpark. Find out what works for you!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »

Todd, I have the same concern because the county is putting up new super bright LED street lights all over the place. They haven't hit our neighborhood yet but it's only a matter of time. The one currently by my house is very dim and gets partially hidden by a tree. If I were you I may sneak out late at night and "fix" the working light haha!
Believe me, I've thought one hit with the pellet gun.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:21 AM »
Pop and Jim, I will be starting my own testing as soon as my 2 sets of pixels arrive. Hoping it will be this weekend. I have everything to put my controller build together so wish me luck! Haha.