Author Topic: Removing the last Ver 1.X update.  (Read 1621 times)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Removing the last Ver 1.X update.
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:17:59 PM »
Is there any way to remove the last Ver 1.10 update to remove that annoying EOL bar.  I have an older PI Zero that runs my landscape lights and it will NEVER be upgraded to Version 2 because it is simply not needed for what it does and is a PITA to remove it from its case to remove the SIM card to perform the upgrade.  All of the sequences and schedules are also on its SIM card and would also be lost.  The big bar at the top really makes the interface look like crap.  I can see putting that on the help screen to inform people that the 1.X version is no longer supported but it is really sloppy to put it on all screens when in some cases, people may choose NOT to upgrade for whatever reason.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Removing the last Ver 1.X update.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »
If Dan doesnt get to it first, I will take a look at adding a dismiss button.  I have a hidden link on the page to dismiss the reboot and restart banners since I dont always want to reboot or restart at that point in time,  :)  and I never reboot my dev system even though changing some settings might tell me I need to do so.
-
Chris

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 12:31:19 AM »
I just pushed a commit to the v1.10 branch that adds a "Dismiss Warning" button to the banner.  Clicking the button will hide the banner and make it so that it doesn't show anymore when you reload the page.  You may need to do a force reload of the page in the web browser if it the banner flashes briefly because a CSS file was updated to make the default hidden and your browser might cache it.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 05:31:55 AM »
That said, you really should consider taking the time to upgrade it.   There is a good chance that by the time our Christmas shows get setup this year, neither xLights nor current FPP instances will support syncing to or discovering 1.x versions. 

That said, I'd wait a few months before updating.    We'll likely have entirely new images in June-ish with whatever the latest kernels, latest hardware support, etc...   I believe buster should be out by then as well so we may be updating to that.    I definitely want to get the new base images out earlier this year.   Late September was too late.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »
Thank you for the change and it worked without issue.  You may want to keep the warning on the help page if possible to remind people that this version is no longer supported and not that there are just no current updates.  People do tend to forget after a few months. 

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »
Thank you for the change and it worked without issue.  You may want to keep the warning on the help page if possible to remind people that this version is no longer supported and not that there are just no current updates.  People do tend to forget after a few months.

I pushed a small change to force display of the warning on the About page.

Offline jchuchla

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 08:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the change on the upgrade notice.  While I appreciated the unexpected billable hours to do upgrades in October, it also caused unnecessary panic with a handful of clients.  It's important to remember that not all of your users are front yard hobbyists.  You've managed to build a product that's so great and versatile that it's found its way into a good deal of commercial projects as well.  There's a difference between no longer being developed, and no longer supported.  And in the same way, end of development doesn't mean end of life.  While I certainly understand not wanting to support it while you're working on the current branch, there's always valid reasons for some installations to be a few versions behind, and you can't forget those people.  Especially when "a few versions" is only a few years time.  Not everyone wants or needs the latest and greatest.  Once a project is installed, there's little need for new features, or a new kernel.  The functionality needs remain constant.  So there's still a lot of time before "end of life" on a working version even though the dev team has moved forward.

All I'm saying is in the future, please consider a gentler upgrade announcement, rather than a bold threatening warning bar that makes you think your software is going to die any minute.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
That said, you really should consider taking the time to upgrade it.   There is a good chance that by the time our Christmas shows get setup this year, neither xLights nor current FPP instances will support syncing to or discovering 1.x versions. 

I really hope that the software is not fully at EOL.  As others including myself have said, Ver 1 does everything that I need it to do in this instance.  It is running on a original PI Zero that is running 15 converted landscape lights and that's all it will ever do.  Will Ver 2 even run on this old PI?  Most of the year it simply responds to events generated by my home automation system to turn the lights on in the evening when it gets dark and off when the sun comes back up but during the holidays, it does change their color of the lights to match the colors of the season.  In the next year or so, I would like to include the landscape lights in whatever show is running in a master - remote configuration.  While I can fully understand no further development being done in Ver 1, I hope that you can at least keep it updated for discovery and syncing so that myself and others can still use it on older devices in remote situations.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 04:06:24 PM »
I really hope that the software is not fully at EOL.

I would classify v1.x as EOD (end of development), but as you show, it has a lot of Life left in it.  I don't plan on spending much time on it in the future, although if there was a simple major bugfix, I might add it.

FPP v2.x will run on a Pi 1 and Zero, I have it running on several model 1 B's.   The multisync protocol may change somewhere down the line, but that doesn't mean you couldn't control those older FPP v1.x systems from a v2.x system, you just eventually might not be able to have them play in sync as a remote.  You can always use a URL playlist entry on the FPP v2.x system to trigger something on the old FPP v1.x system.  FPP v2.6 switched to using the new internal discovery mechanism, but we still have the old Avahi code to discover v1.x systems.  I think that we may eventually rip out the Avahi code since it doesn't give us anywhere near the information we are getting from the built in discovery packets we exchange between FPP and now xLights FPP Connect, but it isn't costing us anything either, so it could stick around.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 05:32:09 PM »
Also note that as of today, xLights, by default, will not even save fseq files that can work if uploaded to v1.x (or even <=2.5).   It's very very likely that shortly in the near future, all support for uploading or anything from xLights to 1.x will be removed.   

Basically, if it working perfectly as it is right now, fine.  Turn off auto-updates and leave it alone.  If you ever want to do anything with it, it will need to be updated.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
Ok, now you have me confused.  What has changed in the fseq file that would prevent FPP v1.X or even versions under 2.5 from reading or using it?  That would make xLights kind of a worthless POS if it has become so restrictive and what exactly would be the point in doing that?  I guess I need to start looking at Vixen and stop any further updates to xLights in the mean time. 

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:18 PM »
If youre sticking with the old version of FPP, then just stick with the old version of xLights.  Problem solved.

Offline jchuchla

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:58 PM »
Ok, now you have me confused.  What has changed in the fseq file that would prevent FPP v1.X or even versions under 2.5 from reading or using it?  That would make xLights kind of a worthless POS if it has become so restrictive and what exactly would be the point in doing that?  I guess I need to start looking at Vixen and stop any further updates to xLights in the mean time.

You're welcome on the Vixen side anytime.

What I think he's saying is that xLights will only output the compressed version of the fseq files now.  So any FPP version older than 2.6 won't know what to do with the compressed files.  That's not to say that you can't just decompress them and use them.  In any case, when we add compressed fseq file support to vixen, it'll be optional.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
Ok, now that makes sense and I agree that the compression should be optional.

Offline lithgowlights

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 03:32:47 AM »
There is an option in xLights to choose V1 or V2 of the FSEQ file, so the latest (2019.04 at this time) can still export old uncompressed FSEQ files