Author Topic: FPP 2.6 Now Available  (Read 4664 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 80
FPP 2.6 Now Available
« on: January 10, 2019, 06:12:58 AM »

New Features:
  • Support for new FSEQ file format (requires updates to xLights/Vixen to generate new format):
    • Compression - v2 files are about 10% the size of older fseq files
    • Sparse data - xLights/Vixen can generate fseq files that only contains the channel data needed for that specific FPP instance greatly reducing the size of the files
  • Several Playlist enhancements:
    • Ability to pass arguments to scripts in Playlist Editor and for Event scripts
    • Add ability to use playlists within playlists
    • Update PlaylistEntryDynamic class to allow multiple entries in the dynamic playlist
    • Add ability to call plugin on another host from master from Dynamic Playlist
    • Reload playlist in fppd when it is changed on disk
  • Multisync enhancements:
    • Multicast "All Remotes" option instead of broadcast to work better with Wifi based remotes
    • Ability to specify what types of files (sequences, media, events, scripts, etc...) to sync to remotes
    • New discovery mechanism for detecting FPP instances (to be used by xLights as well)
  • New "boot" callback for UserCallbackHook for plugins to do things at boot time
  • "FPP After Hours" plugin available from plugin list (internet radio stations)
  • Allow reversing channel data when using Remap Output Processor
  • New "Compact" status page for running from cell phones
  • Allow channel remap output processor to reverse RGBW pixels
  • More information added to system information json (to be used by xLights)
  • New framework for REST API, start adding some REST API's for playlists
Bug Fixes:
  • Update volume in UI when changed on system
  • Fix problems in scheduler if the time jumps forward (ex: NTP kicks in)
  • Fix problems with playlists scheduled across Saturday midnight
  • Fix problem with e1.31 packet that use a non-0 start code
  • Fix problem with BBB ws2811 strings on GPIO0 ports causing flicker/random data
  • Fix problem where the currently running playlist would not be properly stopped when a new playlist was started
Upgrade Instructions:
If you have a system running 2.4 or 2.5.x, you can go to the FPP about page (about.php) and click on the "Manual Update" button. At that point, a big green "Upgrade" bar should appear. You will get all the improvements above except those marked with the "requires re-imaging" notes on the release note for all the versions is upgrading through. Note: there are a LOT of changes in this release. The "Upgrade" button will take several minutes. BeagleBones should take about 15 minutes. Newer Pi 3's are about 10 minutes. Single core Pi's may take over 30 minutes.

At this point, there are no images for 2.6. You need to install the latest 2.5 image and do the "Manual Update" steps above.   2.5.3 images are found at:   https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/2.5.3
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:02:27 PM by dkulp »
Dan Kulp

Offline th182

• Kudos: 2
Re: FPP 2.6 Now Available
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:55:08 AM »
Regarding the new FSEQ format note, I assume if we have the latest version of Vixen (3.5u4) we are good to go? Or is there something more to do? I don't see anything in Vixen for the Sparse data options.. not that I intend to use them quite yet.

Thanks for all the work that goes into FPP! I am always impressed by the enhancements!

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 07:13:13 AM »
Regarding the new FSEQ format note, I assume if we have the latest version of Vixen (3.5u4) we are good to go? Or is there something more to do? I don't see anything in Vixen for the Sparse data options.. not that I intend to use them quite yet.
Vixen 3.5u4 was released several months ago so I would not assume it has support for FSEQ v2 format. 
I would assume the Vixen developers are looking at it and will announce when an appropriate update is available.
I would also assume that FPP v2.6 still handles FSEQ v1 format files that are created by current versions of Vixen and xLights.
-Mark

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:13:36 AM »
Thank you Dan & team! (if there is a team - maybe it's just you or you and Cap'n but anyway Thanks!  :D )
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »
The Playlist selector for items is showing ._ files. I'm sure this was done when I browsed to the FPP using the SAMBA and the wonderful system like that. However; can we parse those out? .

Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline dkulp

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »

No.   Both xLights and Vixen need to be updated to take full advantage of it.   The next build of xLights will have a new "FPP Connect" dialog that will do this for xLights users.    That said, 2.6 reads/plays the old files just fine.   You don't really need to do anything.   

There is a "command line" program on FPP that can be used to convert sequences that are already there, but you don't really need to. 

Offline th182

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:16:43 AM »
Thanks for the info! So I can upgrade FPP and continue operating as is. In the future the other programs will catch up but until they do FPP will still use their current FSEQ outputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 07:26:26 AM »
...Multicast "All Remotes" option instead of broadcast to work better with Wifi based remotes...
...using Multicast Address 239.F.P.P  Clever  ;)

Offline rjhodgefamily

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 08:00:46 AM »
Does the sparse format support channel gaps? For example on my PiCaps I output DMX 1-512, Mini Trees 44545-46080 on output 1, and Singing Face 64001-64512 on output 2. So ideally I would be able to have the file just have those channels in it.

Also are we able to send sparse and compressed files from the Master to the Remote? Something like master asks remote what channels it is using, remote replies and then the master generates the sparse compressed files and rsyncs them over.

Thanks,
Richard
Welcome to my insanity:
25 Lynx Expresses, 14 ESPixelSticks, 9 Falcon PiCaps, 2 Hanson RPi-28D PiCaps, 14 Raspberry Pis, 1 BBB with Optoscroller, and 2 Routers. Running 25 sequences and about 250,000 lights across 11 houses.

Offline dkulp

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
Does the sparse format support channel gaps? For example on my PiCaps I output DMX 1-512, Mini Trees 44545-46080 on output 1, and Singing Face 64001-64512 on output 2. So ideally I would be able to have the file just have those channels in it.

It does, but it's not used yet.  Right now, when FPP starts up, it collects a single range and records that.  xLights then uses that single range.   Eventually, we'll get FPP updated to collect individual ranges and such, but that's not there yet.   Maybe for 2.7.

Also are we able to send sparse and compressed files from the Master to the Remote? Something like master asks remote what channels it is using, remote replies and then the master generates the sparse compressed files and rsyncs them over.

Compressed yes, sparse - not at this time.   The FPP Connect in xLights will detect FPP instances running in master and will default to sending them the full (but compressed) sequence.  Thus, if you hit the "sync to remotes" button in FPP, it will send the full fseq that is at least usable.   Part of the issue is that it MAY not actually save any time on syncing the sequences.  The compression takes time and memory and the Pi's/BBB's don't have the fastest CPU's or a ton of memory.   Thus, it's likely faster to just sync the full (but compressed) fseq file over than it would be for it to generate a sparse version, particularly for things like P5 panels and such where there is still a lot of data in there that needs to be compressed.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:18 AM »
The Playlist selector for items is showing ._ files. I'm sure this was done when I browsed to the FPP using the SAMBA and the wonderful system like that. However; can we parse those out? .

I have a patch to hide files starting with a dot and will get it into master.
-
Chris

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »
Chris: Thanks.

Is there some information about the playlist passing arguments to the plugins? I think this is something that is HUGE and I would like to understand the JSON messages within the plugin.

Thanks

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 119
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
Just for "fun" I updated via developer.php to v2.5 from Master. Then upgraded to v2.6.  Saw that FPP started normally and all appeared well.
Then changed back to Master.   I like seeing the updates as they get introduced.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
Is there some information about the playlist passing arguments to the plugins? I think this is something that is HUGE and I would like to understand the JSON messages within the plugin.

Right now, I think there are still gaps in the playlist/plugin integration in FPP v2.x.  The work I have been doing recently has been focused on getting data from the plugin to the playlist as part of the more generic 'Dynamic' playlist entry, but I think there is a lot more we can do going the other direction.  The Dynamic entry can get its data from multiple sources, including plugins.  The data read by the Dynamic entry is in the normal playlist JSON format for a Playlist Entry.  This is part of why the plugin I am working on uses normal FPP playlists to hold the data for the item to play.

I would like to think about  what the next iteration of the plugin interface looks like to see if anything I am working on should change before we get too far into 2019.  Maybe we should open another thread to discuss that interface.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 02:02:04 PM »
Yes, I'm open to creating that discussion. One of the things that I saw in the Plugin option on the playlist generation page, would be nice if you could direct it to a specific plugin, else all plugins would react to the callback script data coming to them.