Author Topic: How are you networking your pocketbeagle with F8-PB?  (Read 354 times)

Offline willo

• Kudos: 0
How are you networking your pocketbeagle with F8-PB?
« on: January 10, 2019, 10:42:51 AM »
I have some experience with BBB's and recently got a F8-B from dkulp, it's great!

It looks like the F8-PB is a bit more "optimized" in that it's smaller and the pocketbeagle is certainly cheaper than a full BBB. Having never used a pocketbeagle before though, I'm curious practically what everyone is doing to connect the PB up to your network. Is the USB port really the only option? I've never been a fan of USB-ethernet or USB-wifi for a device's "main" connectivity when it has to go in an enclosure in particular.

I'm sure with careful choice of a USB-network dongle the performance is fine (particularly in multisync rather than bridge). What USB-wifi or -ethernet hardware have people had best luck with?

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 5
Re: How are you networking your pocketbeagle with F8-PB?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
I love the F8PB, I used 2 of them last year (and a PocketScroller) all of them were connected with an Edimax Nano WIFI adapter and all of them were in an enclosure (CG1500 or similar) there were walls in the transmission range and I did not have a single problem. I bought 3 more F8s for next year! Are you going to use the Master/Remote function? I would highly recommend it!
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 07:31:01 PM »
I got the Panda wireless PAU06 dongle. A little more than the edimax but I had good luck testing this in my house where the wifi drops off compared to the edimax. I never got it in the yard for a host of reasons not related to the wifi.  I have several of these boards that will be used next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline willo

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:52:23 AM »
Cool, I got a Panda Wireless dongle and it seems decent. It just took me an hour to realize it would USB-disconnect when powering up on a 500ma 5v USB power supply -enough power to power up the BBB but not enough for the wifi radio. Thought it was a driver problem at first.

I have definitely tested multi-sync and DDP... both great ways to manage the packets-per-second load when trying to stretch the 2.4ghz wifi as much as possible.

Offline TMerk

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:02:13 AM »
If you decide to go the wired route, this usb dongle worked perfectly for me this season. The F8-PB was daisy chained off a F16V3 with zero issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:03:49 AM »
If you decide to go the wired route, this usb dongle worked perfectly for me this season. The F8-PB was daisy chained off a F16V3 with zero issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYTSN18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks for that link. My TrendNet USB Gigabit would not work with the F8-PB. It would flash a lot, then go dark. :(
My F8-PB didn't get used this year because I didn't use any wireless remotes (all CAT5 and DDP or E1.31).