Author Topic: Setting up a new BBB  (Read 238 times)

Offline Babybear

• Kudos: 2
Setting up a new BBB
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:39:54 PM »
Setting up a new BBB I want to flash the image to eMMC. There is nothing under Advance Setting for Flashing to eMMC  set up 2.5.3
JimmyG
Rochester, New York

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 119
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Setting up a new BBB
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
Usually, if it doesn't show that in Advanced, it is because it is actually booting from eMMC already, not from the uSD card.

Offline Babybear

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 04:01:55 AM »
So I tried pulling out the SD card and putting in a blank one and the BBB operating system comes up. It does have an OS on it but not the FPP one.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 05:59:36 AM »
So I tried pulling out the SD card and putting in a blank one and the BBB operating system comes up. It does have an OS on it but not the FPP one.

You'll need to FORCE a boot from the uSD card then. That's done by holding down the button labeled "Power" while you connect the power supply. Continue holding until the LEDs starting cycling back and forth. Then you can release the button.

After a bit, it should be booted and you should see the Flash to eMMC choice.

Offline Charles Belcher

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »
I bought and used a BBB in 2015 and have not used it since.  Yesterday, I decided to remove the original microSD card and install v2.4 on a new card.  I used SD Formatter to format the new Sandisk 32g Ultra card, then used Win32DiskImager to place the FPP .img file on it.

I pushed the card into the slot, held down the S2 button while powering up the BBB.  The blue light in between the CAT 5 and 5v barrel connectors lit up solid blue, but the 4 little blue led's never flashed at all.

What should I try next.  I did this about 4 times.  I tried having a usb storage stick inserted and tried without a stick.  I even tried powering up without pressing S2.

Stillno little blue lights.

Charles
One of the 2018 "AllStars" on The Great Light Fight

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »
I bought and used a BBB in 2015 and have not used it since.  Yesterday, I decided to remove the original microSD card and install v2.4 on a new card.  I used SD Formatter to format the new Sandisk 32g Ultra card, then used Win32DiskImager to place the FPP .img file on it.

I pushed the card into the slot, held down the S2 button while powering up the BBB.  The blue light in between the CAT 5 and 5v barrel connectors lit up solid blue, but the 4 little blue led's never flashed at all.

What should I try next.  I did this about 4 times.  I tried having a usb storage stick inserted and tried without a stick.  I even tried powering up without pressing S2.

Stillno little blue lights.

Charles

You probably did this but I have to ask.... did you UNZIP the downloaded file before burning it to the uSD card?   Win32Diskimager doesn't do the de-compression like some of the other tools.  So if you used it, there is another step (unzip) needed that you didn't mention.   I use dotNetDiskImager which can do the Unzipping and Burning in one step.

Also, just to make sure, is this the button you're holding down?   

Image result for beaglebone boot from sd
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:33:14 AM by pixelpuppy »
-Mark

Offline Charles Belcher

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »
Yes, I unzipped it and yes that is the button.  I tried it with and without holding the button down.
Unzipped the file is shown as FPP-v2.5-BBB-ext4.img at 3,145,728kb

I have tried powering the BBB via my laptop and via a powered hub.

Charles

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
Charles,

Have you verified the BBB is still good/working on the old SD card/firmware?    Maybe the BBB is bad  ???
If it does boot off the old SD card, what version is that and does it allow you to flash to eMMC?

Offline Charles Belcher

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
I made a huge mistake yesterday and overwrote the old card before checking the status.  Thought I would save some time hahaha
I am going to try another new card now and see what happens, then maybe try to flash the onboard emmc.

If neither works, then I will wait until the PocketBeagle/PocketScroller I ordered from Dan and give that a try.  Thanks for your help.

Charles

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
Charles,

Be sure to send an email to donnalorrtx@gmail.com and get your name added the North Texas Light-o-Holics list.  She sends out the monthly meeting reminders.  If you don't get it running by then, there's several of us at the meetings that can help you get the BBB running one way or another (assuming its not toast)  ;D

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
I've got a BBB with a bad uSD card reader. Luckily, I had flashed an older version of FPP to eMMC, so it still boots into that version of FPP.

but I consider it pretty much useless at this point.

Offline Babybear

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 04:55:48 AM »
well I found out what I was doing wrong when I first loaded up the Image I did an upgrade before it flashed to the eMMC. Looks like that's not the way It can be done.