Author Topic: New F16V3 Enclosure Build  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Xmas!

• Kudos: 2
Re: New F16V3 Enclosure Build
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 04:28:29 PM »
99% complete. Just waiting on 2-core pigtails from Ray to arrive.
My name is Steve and I'm just getting started. but I think this will become a huge hobby!!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »
Looks good. Fed Ex is telling me my Ray Wu stuff is going to be here Monday.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2019, 07:19:33 PM »
Thanks Todd. BTW everyone, splitting your pigtails out DEFINITELY helps you get to the fuses.

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »

Looks good. Glad you got everything working.

Offline TexasStingray

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
I think it looks pretty good. You have 14 output connectors in the middle of the case does the F16 not have 16? Sorry looking at old case

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »
Thanks but I am still having issues connecting the F16 to my Pi via WiFi or Ethernet cable. Only way it connects is through direct cable to my router. Other than that its great.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
Ok here is the final finished product. Thanks to everyone who helped me get to this point. Now I just need a ton of pixels to light up!!

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 06:50:34 AM »
Just out of curiosity, it appears from the photos that you are using the male tales as controller output, and the female tales as power output.  Is this correct?
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 07:19:06 AM »
Just out of curiosity, it appears from the photos that you are using the male tales as controller output, and the female tales as power output.  Is this correct?

No. I am using female pigtails on all of them. But the controller pigtails are from holidaycoro and the power pigtails are from Ray Wu. Thats why it appears that way.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:30 AM »
So I have come up with a new possible issue about this build. I am using 14awg stranded wire for everything inside the box. Should I scrap that and go with 10awg? I will be running around 3400 pixels with power injection. Thanks. 12v strings btw.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
So I have come up with a new possible issue about this build. I am using 14awg stranded wire for everything inside the box. Should I scrap that and go with 10awg? I will be running around 3400 pixels with power injection. Thanks. 12v strings btw.
You are likely OK, however I can't tell exactly what you have wired to what.  You have 8 fused power lines, but I can only come up with 6 loads, so maybe I'm missing something.  You also have not mentioned if those pixels will be set for 100%, and what they draw at 100% white.  Based on the somewhat common 0.06 amps per pixel, your 3400 pixels comes out to 204 amps, so I have to assume you are not expecting to have the pixels run at 100% as you don't have any where near that much power supply capability.  With some overhead, you have about 70 amps of useful power supply.  Assuming that you reduce the pixels enough to keep total load with everything at full white and if you are actually evenly distributing the load between the 8 sets of wires (very unlikely), you would be within the rating for 14 AWG wire (sort of).  I say sort of because you have all the wires tightly bundled which de-rates them somewhat.  Either do the math and calculate what the actual loads will be on each wire, or better yet, power up the strings and measure them.  Because of the bundled wires, I would not plan on more than 10 amps per 14 AWG wire on a continuous bases (I have not looked up the de-rating numbers for your bundles - so that is a gut-feeling number).  Fortunately for our purposes, we seldom have all lights on at 100% for any substantial length of time so that changes the equation too.
So back to my original statement - you are likely OK.  Even if there really are only four sets (power and return) carrying all 3400 pixels and they are reasonably evenly distributed, and you have them set to about 30% in the Falcons, you are maxing about 18 amps per wire (which is over the ratings), but the worst case situation happens very seldom and not for long.  There are a lot of IFs in my statement however.
If I were building that box from scratch, I would likely use 10 or 12 AWG however.  For my 2018 pixel tree I have 800 pixels per power wire set, which is in the neighborhood of what you have (if evenly distributed).  I have each of those on a single 12 AWG, but fully know that it's not what was long term intended, but I was in a major time crunch and did that wiring at about 11 PM and  had to make due with what I had in stock.  It will get changed for 2019 - this weekend if I have time so I can get it done before putting it away for storage...
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 09:10:10 AM »
Thanks K6ccc. There are actually only 5 loads. I ran the wires for 8 because I wanted the extra 3 if needed. Those 3 are deadended at the fuse. The pixels will NOT be set to 100% while running. I have only used 100% for testing. I do plan on splitting the pixels out fairly evenly with PI as needed. I have 10awg wire and plenty of time before I need the controller so I am thinking its a good idea to redo the cabling. If this was crunch time like in your scenario I may leave it until after the season. As for the bundled wires, I understand the loss but I am a neat freak and want everything in its place if you know what I mean.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 04:27:38 PM »
Thanks K6ccc. There are actually only 5 loads. I ran the wires for 8 because I wanted the extra 3 if needed. Those 3 are deadended at the fuse. The pixels will NOT be set to 100% while running. I have only used 100% for testing. I do plan on splitting the pixels out fairly evenly with PI as needed. I have 10awg wire and plenty of time before I need the controller so I am thinking its a good idea to redo the cabling. If this was crunch time like in your scenario I may leave it until after the season. As for the bundled wires, I understand the loss but I am a neat freak and want everything in its place if you know what I mean.
I had counted two for the F16, two for the distro boards, one for the fan, and one for the Pi (via a regulator).  I assume that the Pi is being done separately.
As far as neat freak, I try as well.  Does not always happen.  When I rebuilt my 12 x 50 pixel tree into 24 x 100 last November, I was in a serious time crunch by the time I got to the power.  I did mine different than you did.  I have the two SanDevices E682 controllers in a 12 x 12 x 6 PVC electrical box behind the bottom of the star (the green arrow on the photo).  There is also a six port Ethernet switch in there.  I only expected to need three ports (one in and an output to each E682s), but ended up using a fourth when I installed the P10 panel in a unplanned location and the pixel tree switch was handy to supply the E1.31 LAN to it.  The three 12 volt and one 5 volt power supplies are in another 12 x 12 x 6 PVC electrical box mounted at about the 11 foot level (the red arrow) on the back side of the tree.  Each power supply feeds one half of a E682, so 800 pixels.  I have the strings set to 50% which makes a max of 24 amps on each power supply and 12 AWG wire.  That's one of the things that will be re-done for 2019.  It's a little hard to see, but just above the cross piece of Unistrut that the power supply box is mounted to, you can sort of see a piece of 3/4 inch liquid-tight flexible conduit that has the eight pieces of 12 AWG THHN, and a Cat-5 cable for a temperature sensor off my East attic environmental monitor.  I designed it so I can unhook the power wires and the Cat-5 in the controller box and unbolt the power supply box while the tree is vertical in about five minutes.  Removes quite a bit of weight for standing up and dropping the tree.  I'm going to do a little clean up on that this weekend before putting it all away.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
Nicely done. Actually the fan is powered by the controller and the Pi is powered by the buck converter between the fused block and negative block.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 04:50:31 PM »
No. I am using female pigtails on all of them. But the controller pigtails are from holidaycoro and the power pigtails are from Ray Wu. Thats why it appears that way.

OK.  It just looked like the locking nut (usually on the male side) on the far right.   :o

Nice and neat design.