Author Topic: New F16V3 Enclosure Build  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Xmas!

• Kudos: 2
New F16V3 Enclosure Build
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »
Hello all. Just keeping a log of how my build is going. Feedback is welcome.

The first pic shows the basic layout. I went a different route than most by turning the box on its side. This way it gives me much more room to allow every cable to go through its own gland. And hopefully this will also make is easier to get to those pesky fuses.

Second pic is how I attached the boards. Instead of using your typical nylon screws, I just used zipties with nylon spacers under each hole.

Third pic is of the from where the cross marks designate the gland holes to be drilled.

Lastly, the 3M Dual Lock velcro is the best you will ever use!

Like I said, feedback is welcome since I'm so early in the build I can change almost anything.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:51:43 AM by Xmas! »
My name is Steve and I'm just getting started. but I think this will become a huge hobby!!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
Re: New F16V3 Build
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:37:57 PM »
To save you drilling time in the future you could use larger glans. I use two large ones to run the pigtails out. works fine and a lot less holes to drill.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 05:38:40 PM »
I know but I was trying to see if this way makes it easier to get to the fuses on the F16.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:49 PM »
Based on my experience it will not make it easier to get to the fuses since the cables will totally obsure the fuses and even the connector numbers when you are trying to fix stuff.  I think I am going to stick with my marine battery boxes as they are much easier to get into and out of, but then I only have an F16 and a Pi in there and no distros or expansion boards.  I bought an ammo box and have lots of glands available, but based on my ease of use experience I'm not sure I am going to use it.  Even putting it away for storage means all those pigtails are hanging out of the box and interfere with stacking things nice and neat on my shelfs.  YMMV.  I'll be reading future posts here.  Maybe I'll change my mind yet again.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Todd

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:52:35 PM »
I know but I was trying to see if this way makes it easier to get to the fuses on the F16.

It sucks having to get at the fuses. I had to unplug 1/2 the cables to get to them. I labeled all the pigtails inside the enclosure just for this issue. It makes it much easier plugging them back in if you ever need to unplug them.

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 06:16:50 AM »
How often do you have to change fuses?  I think this was my fifth year with pixels and the only time i remember blowing a fuse was on the bench testing.

Offline Todd

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:25:32 AM »
How often do you have to change fuses?  I think this was my fifth year with pixels and the only time i remember blowing a fuse was on the bench testing.
g

I've only had to do it once.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »
It is not just pixels, but I also had a couple of wires coming loose at the connector.  You can't see those little loose wire connections until you get right down on top of them and when they are all covered up, it can be done, but it is a pain.  I also labeled all my pigtails both inside and outside the box.  Those labels help a lot when setting up and you are in a hurry or are trying to troubleshoot a string that is acting up.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 09:59:36 AM »
Jim how do you keep the wires from coming loose on the plugs? I was thinking about just tinning them but I may use a ferrule lug instead. What are your thoughts?

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »
Xmas, tinning them sets you up for loose connections.  Some that have done it find that they tighten down the screws, but as time goes by the tinning itself migrates under the pressure - leaving the lines loose in the elevator.  (Around here the device that lifts and squeezes the wire against the top plate is known as an "elevator".)

The ferrule lug is a really good solution.  Convert that multi-strand line into a single wire. If it just didn't take so long to do all those crimps.  :(

In all the years I've been doing this I've done neither.  From time to time, especially when "strange things" start to happen, I check all the connectors to make sure they are seated correctly, and check all the screws for tightness.  Of course when doing this, I realize the amount of time to put on lugs may have been less.  Who knows!?!
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Todd

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 12:37:44 PM »
Jim how do you keep the wires from coming loose on the plugs? I was thinking about just tinning them but I may use a ferrule lug instead. What are your thoughts?
Do Not tin the ends. Make sure you have a good quality screw driver small enough to fit in the screws in the plug. I found you get the connections good and tight with the proper screw driver.
I'm in algerdes camp...No Tin, No ferrules, Just the stranded wire stripped, twisted and tightened down.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 01:04:01 PM »
Sad to say, but I have been tinning ends of stranded wires for years.  Do they get smashed down - yes.  Do they come loose at times - yes.   Does a stray wire got stuck outside the connector - no.  I hear all those folks talk about you must have fuses everywhere, calculate your power, not tin your wires, etc, etc.  Those are not my things.  I know to re-tighten connectors every season and I never put a huge load on anything power or data and I keep a fair number of spare available ports on every controller.  Maybe its me, maybe its luck but things just work fine.  This is a low voltage DC hobby with a lot of stuff to think about.  There are some things that I do not spend a lot of time worrying about.  YMMV

My friend, Al Gerdes, on the other hand runs his show in a public park and must be concerned about a lot of things that do not worry my small home yard display where I am around every day.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »
A little more progress on the build. I ran my power wires under the backer. I also went with solid core wires for power.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
Where are those power supplies from.  I do not recall ever seeing a PS with a big label like that on it.

Offline bigwavedave

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »
Where are those power supplies from.  I do not recall ever seeing a PS with a big label like that on it.

It looks like they are from Holiday Coro : http://www.holidaycoro.com/12-Volt-350-Watt-Power-Supply-p/49.htm

You'll notice the "#49" on the sticker, which is a way HC tends to label models/parts.  And sure enough the link is to "#49"!

That's my best guess...  OP can verify.