Author Topic: Help I'm out of my league. Master running fine. Remote stopping  (Read 924 times)

Offline lightingfool

• Kudos: 0
Help I'm out of my league. Master running fine. Remote stopping
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:00 PM »
By reading all the post I think I must be doing something wrong. My pi's are 3 model B. The master controls my lights and provides audio. The remote controls only video. I have be running this network in my workshop since Christmas and each and every night the remote during a song stops the FPPD. The only way I can get FPPD to restart is boot the pi. I was running version 2.5 and upgraded to 2.6. Had my fingers crossed and... remote FPPD stopped in middle of a song. It stops at different times and on different songs. please help. https://falconchristmas.com/forum/Smileys/default/cry.gif

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Help I'm out of my league. Master running fine. Remote stopping
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:14 AM »
First thing I would be checking is what is powering the PI.  A Pi needs to have a steady source of power and if you are taking power from a supply that also powers on lights then when the power draw for the lights peaks it may get too low for the PI or if using a wall wart, try swapping that one out for one with a bit more power.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Babybear

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 08:27:41 AM »
Im going to ask an Odd question lets say your show is 4 hours long does it seem to stop every 3 hours. so night one it stops at hour 3  reboot day two hour 2 because running one hour from day one so on day 3 it would stop on hour one. Mine was like that, like something was getting filled and once there it stopped.
JimmyG
Rochester, New York

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:34:16 AM »
... The remote controls only video. I have be running this network in my workshop since Christmas and each and every night the remote during a song stops the FPPD.

The ONLY problem I have with V2.x is my one remote that only plays video.  Its the only one that has issues with FPPD stopping.

This is a known problem with omxplayer and has been reported several times and no known fix exists yet.  omxplayer is not written by the FPP devs.  It is 3rd party free software that FPP uses to play video.  It has the ability to speedup/slowdown the playback and that what FPP uses to keep the remote video in sync with the master.   I believe the devs are looking at alternative players but nothing definitive yet.

I'm not positive, but I think it happens because of the rapid speedup/slowdown events that sometimes happen during playback.  I've tried a bunch of different things and I think (not certain) that if you modify (hack  ;) ) /opt/fpp/src/mediaoutput/mediaoutput.c to bypass the speedup/slowdown then omxplayer doesn't crash. It will still start and stop the videos according to the playlist, but you lose the sync playback fine-tuning (speedup/slowdown).   This may or may not be important, depending on the video.  Some videos (like the Santa In The Window) don't need synchronization to the music.

Another thing that seems to help is to render videos at the lowest possible resolution.  Again, I can't for certain say this is the problem but I've seen it run much longer before crashing when the videos are rendered in lower resolution.
-Mark

Offline lightingfool

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
Yes my pi's have their own separate power supply a wall wart. I know when I used this arrangement with 1.x my remote does not shut down. Or at least I didn't notice it. Several of my video require sync so I don't want to loose that capability. Will make me have to rethink everything. Well I do know that the dev's are incredible. If it is just a bug in the player, maybe a script could be used to reset the remote between each song till a better fix comes along. Thanks for the input.

Offline Babybear

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »
On thing I did when I got home from work was to reboot the Pi For my videos and I was good for the rest of the night. Reboot before it crashed..... Also turned off all logging.

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
On thing I did when I got home from work was to reboot the Pi For my videos and I was good for the rest of the night. Reboot before it crashed..... Also turned off all logging.

I also had better luck if I rebooted the video remote every night before the show.   This could be an indication a possible memory leak issue

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 10:30:34 AM »
... I know when I used this arrangement with 1.x my remote does not shut down. ..

I did not start using video in FPP until this year with v2.x so I can't personally speak for video on v1.x   But I know there are others who have reported the same thing as you.   That is to say, no problems with video in v1.x and now seeing FPPD stops with video in v2.x.    I also believe that omxplayer is used in both versions so that makes this problem a bit more mysterious.

I don't know the inner details, but as I understand it, FPP does make a patch to omxplayer so the speedup/slowdown can be made in finer adjustments than the standard omxplayer.   I also believe that Chris made the patch for v1.x and Dan made the patch for v2.x.   I think its a simple patch, but maybe just maybe there is something different there that needs to be checked?

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 11:33:37 AM »

I have "heard" that a full OS update to bring in a new kernel fixes the video crash issues, but it's also not something that we can reliably do via an update script so it's not something I've pushed out.    If anyone wants to try it, they can do a full "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade".  Reboot.   Edit the /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service file to set the PrivateTmp to false, reboot again.   Go back and do a manual fpp update (to compile with new libs).  Reboot again. Then give it a whirl. 

If you are using external wifi drivers (not likely on the Pi, but maybe), you will lose those.   

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 07:14:27 AM »

I have "heard" that a full OS update to bring in a new kernel fixes the video crash issues, but it's also not something that we can reliably do via an update script so it's not something I've pushed out.    If anyone wants to try it, they can do a full "apt-get update", "apt-get upgrade".  Reboot.   Edit the /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service file to set the PrivateTmp to false, reboot again.   Go back and do a manual fpp update (to compile with new libs).  Reboot again. Then give it a whirl. 

I have done all that and still get FPPD stopping with video playback.   Initially it seemed OK, but may have just been because all this forces a reboot.   It seems to run longer after a fresh reboot, but after a while it still stops while playing video.   I know for developers, this is hard to diagnose because as a user, I can't make it happen every time at the same time.   I played the same playlist in the same order every night.  Some times it ran through the whole playlist and other times it stopped in the middle and when it stopped it was not always the same place in the playlist or sequence.  Very weird I know.  But it does still happen even after the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.  It *seems* better, but not completely.   The randomness makes me think it has something to do with all the rapid speed-up/slow-down syncs because those seem to vary every time.

I'll have to test it again to confirm, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen if I disable the speedup/slowdown in mediaoutput.c  - but of course, this also disables it from playing in sync.   I've also tried to soften the impact by modifying mediaoutput.c so it only does a single speedup/slowdown per sync. The original code allows up to 15 steps in a single sync so in the debug log it is not uncommon to see speedup-speedup-speedup-speedup-speedup-speedup-speedup-speedup in rapid succession during a single sync.    If I'm reading the code correctly, there does appear to be a 30ms sleep between steps but with 15 steps in a single sync, that could be almost 1/2 second per sync.  With V2.x, MediaSync happens at 1/2 second intervals. There may be some kind of race condition happening there.   

The other thing I may try is hacking mediaSync back to 1-second intervals instead of 1/2 second intervals.  I believe that was changed in v2.x as an attempt to sync faster at the start of playback but it may be causing a race condition and v1.x users reported no stoppage with sync-per-second vs sync-twice-per-second.

I'm really just guessing here, but those are the things I'm thinking about trying  ::)

Offline lightingfool

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
 Edit the /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service file to set the PrivateTmp to false
I found out how to get-update and get upgrade. How do I Edit the 'lib//apache2.service file?

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 08:24:04 AM »
Edit the /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service file to set the PrivateTmp to false
I found out how to get-update and get upgrade. How do I Edit the 'lib//apache2.service file?

"sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service"

Offline lightingfool

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 04:12:51 PM »
I also am still having the random stopping of the video playback. The Time period does seem to be about 2-2 1/2 hours before the remote stops. Wish I could contribute here but I feel all I can be is a tester at this point.

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 04:00:51 PM »
I've been playing with this more today and when it stopped I notice the Status and Time are blank (as opposed to showing a status of "FPPD Stopped").  Not sure if that's always happens, but its definitely a strange status.  Not running, but not fully stopped either?  :o

Offline lightingfool

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 07:18:15 PM »
I've been playing with this more today and when it stopped I notice the Status and Time are blank (as opposed to showing a status of "FPPD Stopped").  Not sure if that's always happens, but its definitely a strange status.  Not running, but not fully stopped either?  :o

The same thing happens to mine. I see it when I press Start FPPD after the lockup of the player. Then no matter which button I press I am lockup. I have had to remove power.