Author Topic: Audio Improvements  (Read 126 times)

Offline jem5136

• Kudos: 0
    • Lights of the Night
Audio Improvements
« on: January 12, 2019, 04:37:44 PM »

Hello everyone, I have a question about audio systems. The past few years I've been running both an FM transmitter as well as a small amp with speakers. I've been having an issue with volume, the outdoor speakers are never loud enough while the FM transmitter sounds great- if I add the volume on the master FPP- the transmitter loses sound quality- the amp on the speakers is turned to the max and it's still too quiet to really make a difference. So I'm wondering what options I have to improve/replace the amp and/or speakers I'm currently using.

This is my current Amp https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2024A-HA-LP-2024A-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B00ULRFQ1A?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

Current Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-LU43PB-Performance-Bookshelf/dp/B00081NX5U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508343525&sr=8-3&keywords=outdoor%2Bspeakers&th=1

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
Re: Audio Improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
As others have both suggested and used, you may be better off with a boom box or cheap radio serving as your speakers.  Then the only thing that you need to be concerned with is getting the signal right for the transmitter and then tune the radio or boom box to the station the transmitter is set to and then you can set the speaker volume to whatever you want, regardless of the setting for the transmitter.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:29:52 AM »
The problem is that the FPP/pi audio output is too low.  Works OK with FM transmitter because nearly all have the ability to adjust input and boost.  I am a big fan of using a small mixer and with the right one you could control outs to both tranny and amp separately.  IE use headphone jack for tranny and main out to amp.  I am familiar with that amp it should be plenty loud for your use.  You likely will need some special cables to run it.  You could also like Tbone suggest use an FM tuner to feed the amp.  IE old receiver/jambox with headphone jack and go jambox headphone jack to amp via 1/8 cable or maybe with receiver rca outs to rca inputs on amp.  Good luck!
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline jem5136

• Kudos: 0
    • Lights of the Night
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a soundblaster to help improve the output itself and getting a new splitter so I can controller the volume on both outputs. Others have recommended new amps- and I may purchase a new amp but I'll wait and do some testing with the soundblaster and new splitter before I purchase a new amp. If all else fails I'll get some cheap boom boxes.