Author Topic: Mixing types of pixels  (Read 374 times)

Offline Ulan

• Kudos: 0
Mixing types of pixels
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:36 PM »

I ordered the F48 and some pixels to get started.

I was wondering can I also use "dumb" rgb strands just like the pixels off the same F48 or do i need a different type of controller?   

Does anybody know a good site to order some?

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Re: Mixing types of pixels
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
Ulan, a few things you may want to know as you get into this:

The F48 is a "sender board" with all the intelligence needed onboard for control - no direct connect to pixels.  It requires "receivers" at the location of your props.  All the receivers that I know of (for the F48) are for "smart pixels".

The difference between "smart pixels" and "dumb pixels" is the location of the controlling chips. 

With smart-pixels the chips to control each LED (usually 3 in a pixel) are in the pixel package itself (or really close as in some strips and rectangle packages.)  Smart pixels require power (+ & -) and a data signal to be sent to every pixel.

With dumb-pixels, the controlling chips are on the controller itself.  They then send the proper voltage to the string as a whole.  No control pixels on the string - just LEDs connected together.  Also note, dumb-pixels are usually controlled as a whole string of pixels - not individual pixels.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »

I ordered the F48 and some pixels to get started.

I was wondering can I also use "dumb" rgb strands just like the pixels off the same F48 or do i need a different type of controller?   

Does anybody know a good site to order some?
Dumb pixel controllers are available stateside from Holiday Coro @ $49.00. I believe you can get them on Amazon, E-bay or Ali Express also.
You can get smart pixels form a variety of sources. DIY LED Express, HC, Amazon, E-bay or Ray WU if you want a larger qty.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
To clarify - what most people call "dumb pixels" aren't really pixels. A pixel is an individual dot or light that can change independent of the other dots or lights around it. Smart Pixels can do that. Dumb pixels can't - their entire string, however long, does the same thing end to end.

Offline Ulan

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 01:57:54 PM »

So I would need another type of controller as well. 

Thanks!

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »
To clarify - what most people call "dumb pixels" aren't really pixels.
And I cringe a little bit whenever I hear someone say "Mini mega tree" 🤪 😂
-Mark