Author Topic: small P5 Panel controller and sound  (Read 873 times)

Offline Kringle

• Kudos: 0
small P5 Panel controller and sound
« on: January 14, 2019, 02:17:07 PM »
I don't have my lights or my controller yet, they're on the way though.  Anyway, this is my first year with programming/sequencing lights.  Ive been messing with 1 of the Pi's that I purchased (I bought 2).  My plan is to have the second Pi as the controller for the small 1X2 P5 "tune to" sign I'm going to make.  Anyway, I'm having trouble finding a cost effective solution to just run 2 P5 panels.  Everything I am finding is for a giant P5/P10 matrix, I do plan on having 1 or 2 in the future but for now just a small sign.  Is there something out there someone knows of that I can use and connect via ethernet to run my sign.  Something for very small scale preferably?  My main Pi will be in my garage with the F48 and where the sign will be is about 100ft or so away.  I was thinking a Pi cap but there is so many option I am having trouble choosing one.

Also, on a separate topic what kind of audio processor are y'all using to feed your FM transmitters?  $60 seems like a lot of money (the one mention in living lightship walk around video) but if that my only "cheap" option i guess i'll have to bite that bullet.

Thank you all, the info on this site is awesome and the time y'all put in to help others is amazing.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
Re: small P5 Panel controller and sound
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 03:37:18 PM »
How about one of Crockett's Pi Hats?   The Nano Hat can run a single chain of panels and the Matrix Hat can run 3 chains. Both are very economical - especially since you already have the Pi(s). 

From the description on their website:

Quote from: Crockett Fantasy of Lights
Description

We offer a Matrix PiHat and a Nano Matrix PiHat which can be used with a Pi to drive P10/P5 panels.  The difference between the two boards is the number of outputs which changes the number of panels you can run.
The Matrix PiHat has 3 outputs that can run up to 12 p10 panels or 6 p5 panels per output and can be used with a Pi2 or Pi3. 
The Nano Matrix PiHat is perfect for small matrix projects and is designed with one output.  The one output can can be used with a Pi 2 or Pi 3 to run 12 P10 panels or 6 P5 panels.   If you run the Nano Matrix PiHat off a Pi Zero you can run 9 P10 panels or 4 P5 panels on its one output. "

https://shop.cfolights.com/product/presale-nano-matrix-pihat/
-Mark

Offline Kringle

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:51 PM »
Perfect, i got a message earlier today about the Nano.  perfectly fits the bill for what i need.  In all my searching i never came across the Crockett stuff.  Guess my google game was a bit lacking.  I may even save my second 3B+ for something else and see about using the Pi zero.  I don't need the Tune To sign to link with my show its just going to say Merry Christmas and the radio station.  Thanks for the input!

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 06:46:43 AM »
I may even save my second 3B+ for something else and see about using the Pi zero.  I don't need the Tune To sign to link with my show its just going to say Merry Christmas and the radio station.  Thanks for the input!

Yeah, IMHO, a PiZero and a NanoHat are perfect combo to run a small dedicated sign like that.

Offline Stormyblade

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
Since no one has answered the audio side, several on this site (and the other DIY Christmas sites) are using the Soundblaster 3, easily picked up from Amazon.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 06:43:35 AM »
The Soundblaster 3 is very good, but not cheap.   All Pi's - including the Zero - have on-board audio that can be used to feed an FM transmitter.  The audio quality is not as good as the SB3 but its good enough for a low-cost solution

Offline Kringle

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
The Soundblaster 3 is very good, but not cheap.   All Pi's - including the Zero - have on-board audio that can be used to feed an FM transmitter.  The audio quality is not as good as the SB3 but its good enough for a low-cost solution

Is this what y'all are referring to?  Soundblaster 3

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »
Is this what y'all are referring to?  Soundblaster 3

Yep thats the one  :)

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 6
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »
My plan is to have the second Pi as the controller for the small 1X2 P5 "tune to" sign I'm going to make.  Anyway, I'm having trouble finding a cost effective solution to just run 2 P5 panels.
I would second the suggestion for the Crockett nano hat.
My real purpose is to comment that a 1 x 2 P5 matrix is going to be pretty small for a Tune To sign.  Below are my two Tune To signs hanging in my family room for testing.  The larger one is 4W x 3H P10 and the smaller one is 3W x 2H P5.  Part of it depends on how far away the people looking at the sign will be.  In my case, the P5 was intended to be quite close (less than 50 feet and in most cases less than 20 feet); however it did not get deployed in 2018 because I ran out of time to build a waterproof housing for it.  The P10 was deployed in a different location than intended for the same reason and was between 50 and 125 feet away.  At the far end, it was usable, but I would not have wanted to be any farther back from it.

Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »
I am looking at a Adafruit Feather and panel hat.  it can plug directly into the back of the hub75 panels, I am looking if wireless is a option where maybe a master can send data to it

Myk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »
I am looking at a Adafruit Feather and panel hat.  it can plug directly into the back of the hub75 panels, I am looking if wireless is a option where maybe a master can send data to it

Do you have a link to the Adafruit board  you are referencing?  Are you talking about a Pi hat/bonnet/cape or some other board which can drive the HUB75 panels?   I haven't seen one that connects a Pi directly to the back of the hub75 panel other than the 'backpack' board that I made a few years ago.  I am updating that board to make a v2 version that uses the newer pinout, I just got sidetracked halfway through mapping the pins.  I should be ordering some in a few days or maybe this weekend if I can find the time to finish that.
-
Chris

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 06:05:01 PM »

Do you have a link to the Adafruit board  you are referencing?  Are you talking about a Pi hat/bonnet/cape or some other board which can drive the HUB75 panels?   I haven't seen one that connects a Pi directly to the back of the hub75 panel other than the 'backpack' board that I made a few years ago.  I am updating that board to make a v2 version that uses the newer pinout, I just got sidetracked halfway through mapping the pins.  I should be ordering some in a few days or maybe this weekend if I can find the time to finish that.

# 3036 is the hat, am still investigating if any of the compatible feathers have wifi support

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 06:07:51 PM »
both the m0 and m4 have

• USB native support, comes with USB bootloader and serial port debugging[
wonder if a wifi dongle can be used

# 3050 has wifi, but its $35 :(

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
looking like pi 0w w/nano hat might be the cheapest, i just like the feather specs as it can run more panels than the zero.  The M4 w/wifi dont support circuitpython, just adruno ide which I have never learned yet, might be time

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 07:50:00 PM »
# 3036 is the hat, am still investigating if any of the compatible feathers have wifi support

Ok, thanks.  I thought we were talking about something for the Pi.