Author Topic: 5v meanwell power supply question  (Read 307 times)

Offline Kringle

• Kudos: 0
5v meanwell power supply question
« on: January 15, 2019, 03:03:42 PM »
Curious if i can use this (Meanwell 5v 10a 50w power supply) in my main controller box to power a switch, raspberry pi, and F48.  Id rather use 1 outlet on my wall the 3?

Offline nickd

Re: 5v meanwell power supply question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:45:54 PM »
When you say switch are you referring to a network switch?  If so, network switches with DC power input are more specialized and almost everyone I have ever seen are 12v or 24v input.  Most consumer switches require AC power.

For the PI, yes you can power it with the PS.  You have 3 ways of doing this.  The easiest way is to wire the PS directly to the 5V rail on the header (like in this picture).  However you are bypassing all of the protection circuitry (reverse polarity protection, over voltage protection etc.), meaning you could fry your PI if you are not careful or something goes wrong. 

You can also take a USB cable, strip it, and wire the (usually) the red and black wire to the PS and plug the micro USB connector to the PI.  You get the protection circuitry this. 

The final option is get something like this: http://amzn.com/B01HM0OT6G.  This give you the option to power multiple USB devices and ones that require some logic to power up (the PI does doesn't).  This option probably doesn't make sense if the PI is your only USB option.

I don't have an F48, but that should be fine to power with the PS.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:03:46 PM »
That ps will power the F48. It's the same one I use for my F16 and F48.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline Kringle

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08:14 PM »
When you say switch are you referring to a network switch?  If so, network switches with DC power input are more specialized and almost everyone I have ever seen are 12v or 24v input.  Most consumer switches require AC power.

For the PI, yes you can power it with the PS.  You have 3 ways of doing this.  The easiest way is to wire the PS directly to the 5V rail on the header (like in this picture).  However you are bypassing all of the protection circuitry (reverse polarity protection, over voltage protection etc.), meaning you could fry your PI if you are not careful or something goes wrong. 

You can also take a USB cable, strip it, and wire the (usually) the red and black wire to the PS and plug the micro USB connector to the PI.  You get the protection circuitry this. 

The final option is get something like this: http://amzn.com/B01HM0OT6G.  This give you the option to power multiple USB devices and ones that require some logic to power up (the PI does doesn't).  This option probably doesn't make sense if the PI is your only USB option.

I don't have an F48, but that should be fine to power with the PS.

The switch is a network switch, its a d-link des 105.   Using old cell phone charger and a shaver charger cutting the AC side off.     

Offline Kringle

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:09:39 PM »
That ps will power the F48. It's the same one I use for my F16 and F48.

Cool, thanks man

Offline nickd

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »
The switch is a network switch, its a d-link des 105.   Using old cell phone charger and a shaver charger cutting the AC side off.     

I wasn't thinking about a small switch with an external PS.  That one is a good match because it is 5v, so wiring that to the PS should work just fine.  You should easily be able to run all three devices off the PS you selected.