Author Topic: Trouble connecting to F16V3  (Read 560 times)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
Re: Trouble connecting to F16V3
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
That is exactly how I was planning on setting it up. Controller connected to Pi, Pi using WiFi.

Ok, then the cabling is simple, a single Ethernet cable between the PI and the F16.  As for configuration, the only thing that you need to do on the PI is to make sure the Route Between Interfaces box on the network screen is checked.  On the F16, there is no need for WIFI to be inabled so just clear any of those settings boxes.  On the Ethernet configuration set as follows.  IP 192.168.10.75  Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.10.74 and DNS can also be 192.168.10.74.  These settings along with the ones currently on the PI create a show network of 192.168.10.0 capable of carrying 254 hosts.  You don't really need that many but it is easy to create that way.  Checking the Route between Interfaces box turns the PI into a small router and allows the F16 to get to the outside world.

Now the only issue is to tell the PC how to get to the F16.  If you try and access the PI, it's WIFI is on the same network as your PC so it can directly talk to it.  When you try and communicate with the F16, it is on a different network and the PC knows it needs to be routed so it sends the packet to the only path it currently knows, the default Gateway which is your home router.  The problem is that your home router knows nothing about your show network so the packets are currently dropped.  The router that needs to be used is the PI it is connected to so something needs to tell it how to get there.  There are two ways to do it. One is to set a static route on the home router.  This tells your home router how to get their and the primary advantage is that any device can on your home network can get to the show network.  The disadvantages are that not all home router let you do that and when you do, you weaken the security on your home network because now anything on the show network can also access everything on your home network.  The second way is to directly tell the PC how to get there and that is done with the route command from the cmd line.  the disadvantage is that only that PC will he able to access the show network from your home network but the advantage is that it is easy to do and maintains the security of your home network because only your PC is exposed from the show network.  Make sure that when you run cmd, that you run it as an administrator or the command will not work.  The command is route add -p 192.168.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.74.  This tells the PC to send any packets for the show network to the WIFI port of your PI rather than your home router.  The -p simply makes the route persistent which means the PC keeps it after a reboot.  Give it a shot and let us know what happened.

Offline Xmas!

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »
I believe I did everything right but still no go.
My name is Steve and I'm just getting started. but I think this will become a huge hobby!!

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »
K-state you have your controller's gateway as the Pi's wlan IP. I have it set to the Pi's eth0 IP. Which should it be? Thanks.

Edit: Just changed it to see if it worked and still nothing. Even changed ethernet cables.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
The gateway has to be on the same network address as its IP address, IOW the first three numbers have to match.  Are you sure that the PI's route between interfaces is checked and did you restart its network or reboot it since it was checked?  You may want to send another screen shot of the PCs routing table to make sure that the route command was entered correctly. 

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »
I will try that when I get home tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

Offline Xmas!

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 09:03:26 AM »
Ok I woke up this morning and checked everything. All was set up correctly but I still couldn't access the F16. Restarted my computer and BOOM everything works! Pi is on wifi and F16 is connected to Pi via cable and I can access both!. Thank you ALL for your help. I never would have figured this out without you guys.

WOOHOO!!

;D ;D